Cotswolds by taxi/ Blood Brothers

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Susan

Cotswolds by taxi/ Blood Brothers

Has anyone traveled through the Cotswolds by taxi? Please give details of how we can do this. Also we are thinking of seeing "Blood Brothers". Any recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Prue

We saw Blood Brothers last year and thoroughly enjoyed it - it is a musical but has quite a 'meaty' story and at the time we saw the cast were excellent.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:47 PM
janis

Do you mean visiting the Cotswolds by cab from London, OR staying in a Cotswold village for a few days and using local taxis?

if you mean the former - NO WAY. it would be horribly expensive. But if you are staying in the Cotswolds yaxis are ceratinly an option. Every town and most villages has a local car service and the rates are usually quite reasonable. Many older folks in the UK do not drive and bus service is not what it once was. So a lot of folks use cabs to get around, do their shopping etc. That means there are lots of taxis/drivers.

Blood Brothers is fine - but do not get you tickets ahead of time or pay full price. Excellent seats are almost always available at the 1/2 price TKTS booth

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:18 AM
William

Susan
If you begin your Cotswalds visit in Oxford there is a tour company located right by the main coach (bus) station that provides very nice tours. They are in small vans, with only about 6 people, plus the guide. We did this and it was very enjoyable. The guide was a recent PhD in English History from one of the colleges in Oxford so he really knew his stuff. We got a good overview of the Cotswalds, had nice lunch in a pub, etc. Well worth the time and since we did not have car on that trip was the best way for us to see the Cotswalds. We were staying in London, and used the coach service from Victoria Coach Station (London) to Oxford. We had done that trip by train several times in the past and decided to try the bus, and found that not only was the bus much cheaper than the train, it was almost as fast, plus we were delivered to a more convenient location once in Oxford. You did not say where you are staying, but if in London then I suggest the above ideas for trip to Cotswalds. Plus, you can see Oxford as well.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:28 AM
elaine

Hi Susan
If you do a search here on Blood Brothers you should find some previous opinions on it. The majority of responders like it very much; I felt quite the opposite, but that's a minority opinion here.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:27 AM
amy

Blood Brothers-loved it. I don't ususally go for musicals, but my sister does and we both liked it so much we bought the soundtrack. Good story, great acting/singing, recommend it.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:14 AM
xxx

William may think he saw the Cotswalds, but the scenic area west of Oxford is the COTSWOLDS! Once I would put up to a typographical error. But he wrote it FOUR times. How clueless can one be? That is why I hate tours, the people on them don't even know what they are seeing.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:23 AM
karl

xxx, you are a pompous ass...perhaps William hadn't had his morning coffee yet, or just did not check his spelling. I am sure you are perfect in every respect and never make a mistake. People like you disgust me and the major problems of the world are due to types like you, you arrogant spew spouting piece of shite.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:35 AM
s

yes xxx go away go play in traffic

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:15 AM
SayNoToxxx

It is idiots like xxx that make this board so unpleasant at times. He just has to put in his 2 cents worth. Perhaps the poster didn't notice the wrong spelling, but no matter. At least he was trying to be helpful and offer some meaningful ideas. But xxx has nothing to other except his obnoxious rant. xxx, please go away and do not come back we do not need your idiotic blatherings on this board.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:51 AM
william

Well do I ever feel like an idiot now. I typed this response this morning just as I was getting started and wow, did I screw up. I am so embarrased that I spelled Costwolds with the a- God I must have asleep at the keyboard. I do know better trust me. And, as to the snotty reply by xxx, my wife and I are independent travelers and have never before or since taken any kind of "tour bus" type of outing. This one fit our needs at the time, and it was actually quite nice. So, xxx, you can be as critical as you want, but the Cotswolds (or Cotswalds or Kotswalds, or however you want to spell it) are very nice and I still recommend the tour for those that do not have a car.

I have now slapped my hands 35 times for the typing errors.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Bob

We saw BLOOD BROTHERS in London in 1990. Had Kiki Dee (Sang the hit song "Don't go breaking my heart" with Elton John) in the lead. We were with another couple and all four of us really enjoyed the production. We liked it so much we went to see the San Francisco version in 1995.

Saw the long running BUDDY last year in London. It is the story of Buddy Holly and we enjoyed that also. RAVE ON!

The way I look at it, if Blood Brothers was playing in 1990 and it is still going in 2002, someone must think its good. Sure beats the artsy junk that vanishes after one month.....

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Myer

We were in London in early May and saw Blood Brothers at the recommendation of our daughter.

Bought tickets at TKTS. The theatre is very small. Any seats are good.

The show is excellent. The cast we saw were great. Daughter said she never cried so much and I can see why. And it's a musical.

Yes see it!!!