Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   cotswolds (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cotswolds-83327/)

michael reith Aug 18th, 2000 07:37 AM

cotswolds

<BR>anyone have any info on hotels in this area,also best way to travel there from london thanks

Mike Aug 18th, 2000 01:22 PM

I live near here, so I've never used rooms (what use is that)! <BR> <BR>Most famous hotel - Lygon Arms, Broadway. Nice, but I would go for Buckland Manor, just outside Broadway, or Lower Slaughter Manor or Lords of the Manor in Upper Slaughter. The Lygon Arms is in Broadway (a town), while these three are in villages. They are all absurdly quaintly situated, and my personal favorite is Buckland Manor. The Slaughters, however, are the number one quaint villages in the area (loads of competition). <BR> <BR>These are all expensive. Food is good (it's OK at the Lygon Arms, but better at my recommendations, of course!) but the atmosphere can be less than swinging. Le Petit Blanc in Cheltenham is the good and lively restaurant in the area. Le Champignon Sauvage in Cheltenham is the best. <BR> <BR>A sleeper might be Wesley House in Winchcombe. Quite a nice restaurant, and the house has a lot of character, and rooms are cheaper. <BR> <BR>Michelin rate College House in Broadwell and Old Rectory in Willersley. No restaurants, so I can't comment! <BR> <BR>Car is best. London to Oxford is less than an hour, and the area opens up soon after that. Public transport is fairly limited in the villages. Use www.thetrainline.com to evaluate train trips. I think trains will be awkward. Walking is popular! There are many well marked paths through the beauty spots. I would base myself round Stow or Broadway. Chipping Campden is nice, but right on the edge of the area. Cheltenham is a bigger town, and good for shopping/restaurants. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps a bit.

steve Aug 19th, 2000 06:20 PM

Have stayed twice in the past year at Oxstalls in Stratford. Very nice B&B at a horse farm. THe family also has the Foxhunter pub in a nearby village with excellent food. <BR> <BR>I recommend you also see Bibury and the surrounding area. <BR> <BR>Car would be the best way to see the area <BR>

robin Sep 4th, 2000 11:51 AM

mike, have you been to alconbury? my husband and i are moving there in oct?

Suzy Sep 10th, 2000 12:15 PM

Burford is a lovely town and is well located- I would highly suggest looking into the Andrew Hotel - it is small, charming and most hospitable . The rooms are very comfortable and are very quiet. A lovely breakfast is served . You couldn't go wrong here .

mike Sep 19th, 2000 03:41 AM

<BR>Thanks for all you help on the Cotswolds. Is there a possibility of renting a moped or scooter to get around the villages, or am I daydreaming? thanks again, you can send email direct if you wish mike

steve Sep 21st, 2000 05:46 AM

I would bet that there are places to rent. Perhaps Stratford or Cheltenham. it would be a good way to see the region as it is very compact. Lots of small roads, but unfortunately that doesn't mean that people drive slowly on them

Terry Sep 21st, 2000 10:30 AM

Agree that the Slaughters (Upper & Lower) are the quaintest villages. Found Broadway to be too many tourist very crowded. Suggest the Old Farm or New Farm B&B just outside (about 1 mile) of Morton on Marsh. Very nice hosts nice accommodations and of course a great breakfast in either. They are related by the way Mother runs Old Farm and Daughter runs New Farm. Let me know if you want to contact them I will look around for the address - email etc.