Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cotswold Confusion (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cotswold-confusion-686290/)

HeleneW Mar 9th, 2007 04:25 AM

Cotswold Confusion

My husband and I will be in the UK in July, driving south from York. I had already made a decision to stay in Broadway and explore the Cotswolds from there. There is such a wealth of information on this site regarding the Cotswolds, that every time I read a posting, I get confused and wonder whether there would be a better base location than Broadway. Should I stick with Broadway or should I make reservations elsewhere? We will have a car and have two days to explore the area. Thanks.

Dukey Mar 9th, 2007 04:37 AM

We stayed in Broadway last September when visiting the area for a couple of days.

We had no trouble reaching all tghe places we wanted to visit.

When I recently mentioned this on another thread my choice was criticized for being "too far north."

flanneruk Mar 9th, 2007 05:15 AM

With a car, it scarcely matters.

Personally, I'd rather be in a proper town, with a church in the middle, like Burford, Chipping Campden, Winchcombe or
Northleach. But if you've made one decision, stick to it and use your mental energy on something that matters more.

janisj Mar 9th, 2007 05:46 AM

What is your confusion - just whether Broadway is a good location for touring the Cotswolds, or whether Broadway is a nice town?

If it is location - as flanner says it makes almost no difference. Most anyplace in the Cotswolds will be as convenient as any other place.

If you mean the atmosphere - then I'd personally pick someplace else. There is really not much "there there". Either Burford or Northleach or someplace like that has more to offer.

But for a first time visitor, Broadway will be just fine - it's small-ish w/ some attractive bldgs, several antiques shops, etc. Don't agonize over your decision - if you have found a B&B in Broadway that you like, go for it. If you are still in the "thinking phase" though - maybe keep looking.

Dukey Mar 9th, 2007 06:10 AM

Helene, you might also want to consider the fact that some of these towns (improper and otherwise) can get overrun with visitors at certain times.

Knowing this we happened to go to Bourton-on-the-Water one weekend day and it was MOBBED with people.

It didn't really take anything away from our own visit there since it was expected and we really didn't go thinking we would have the place all to ourselves. For some folks, however, this could be a deal breaker I suppose.

PalenQ Mar 9th, 2007 06:16 AM

"Cotswolds" is a state of mind and if in Broadway you put yourself in the Cotswoldian state of mind it won't make any difference if you're not in the dreamiest of towns there.

janisj Mar 9th, 2007 06:17 AM

No one recommended Bourton-on-the-water. It is a &quot;special case&quot; - definitely <b>not</b> recommended IF you plan on being in the village during the day. But the day trippers are only there from about 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Before and after those times it is an entirely different place. BUT I still wouldn't stay there.

rickmav Mar 9th, 2007 06:27 AM

Agree with flanneruk about Chipping Campden. We've stayed there three times, in self catering cottages, and like it a lot. We've also stayed in Bourton on the Water and although, as janisj says, it is crazy during the day, we took off in the morning to tour about and then had this amazing village all to ourselves in the evening and early morning.

Although we've never stayed in Stow-in-the Wold, Winchcombe or Chipping Norton, we've shopped and visited people we know there and I think they'd also be good bases. We've stayed in Moreton on Marsh and although we found it central for touring and liked the weekly markets, some people don't find it charming. I guess, in the end, it depends on what you are looking for. As others have noted, with a car you can get around pretty quickly. I can't recommend Broadway, only because we always seem to be driving through or by it.

HeleneW Mar 9th, 2007 06:37 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm going to stay with the Broadway decision. It sounds like we can do whatever we like by just getting in the car. How long is it from York to Broadway in driving time?

Dukey Mar 9th, 2007 06:46 AM

According to theAA.com it is 163 miles and about three hours' driving time. I'd personally give it more time and take my time getting there.
BTW, where are you planning to stay?

flanneruk Mar 9th, 2007 06:48 AM

There's a peculiarly horrible, near-perpetual, traffic jam at J23 of the M1. Allow 4 hours, excluding stops.

HeleneW Mar 9th, 2007 06:49 AM

I'm at work and don't have all of my trip material. It's a regular hotel, not a B &amp; B, but I can change that. Any suggestions?

Dukey Mar 9th, 2007 06:55 AM

All i will say is that we stayed at Russells of Broadway which bills itself as a &quot;restaurant with rooms.&quot;

It is a few steps from the more well-known and I suppose &quot;traditional&quot; Ligon Arms hotel.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and I posted a review on TripAdvisor. The place has its pros and cons and if (after looking at the TA posts by myself and others) you might be interested then I'd be happy to answer questions.

I prefer this rather than presuming as many do that what I found to be &quot;fabulous&quot; (or less than optimal) and the usual blah blah blah others would automatically agree with (even though nobody here &quot;trusts me&quot; like I could really care LOL).

Mimar Mar 9th, 2007 07:08 AM

We stayed in Broadway and found it very convenient for touring the Cotswolds -- and also Stratford, Warwick and Blenheim Palace.

As for &quot;dreamy,&quot; Broadway is indeed the cutest of villages. Use Google Images to see photos.

If we went back, I would stay in a slightly larger town, probably Chipping Campden

jaimeGL Mar 9th, 2007 08:56 AM

I'm a Londoner but now living States-wide and had never been to the Cotswold area. A few of summers ago my best friend celebrated her 50th and we spent a couple of days there as a treat. We based in Chippping Camden and really enjoyed it for the quiet and overall atmosphere. We hit Broadway and Bourton and whilst we loved Bourton, we were happy to leave at the end of the day (we were there the day England played Denmark in the WC!). I agree with those who say that as long as you have wheels, where you stay doesn't really matter but we did particularly like CC. We stayed in a B &amp; B which was delightful and the breakfast was superb.

annhig Mar 9th, 2007 09:02 AM

Hi, helene,

i know it's a bit further south, but I really like tetbury - some nice hotels and restaurants, and good access to Stow and the rest of the cotswolds, as well as westonbirt [the arburetum], Bath, etc.

regards, ann

luvtotravel Mar 9th, 2007 11:17 AM

A couple of years ago I spent four nights in Broadway. We thought it was a great place in which to base ourselves. There are some shops and a few restaurants -- we had dinner three times at the Swan on the main street and enjoyed it each time.

julia_t Mar 9th, 2007 11:23 AM

ditto Cirencester.

flybob Mar 9th, 2007 11:28 AM

CHIPPING CAMPDEN
always, less touristy and pleasant, LOL we live there

rickmav Mar 9th, 2007 12:17 PM

HeleneW - I actually would stick with the hotel, if it has good reviews. Personally, as I get older, I find I like more privacy and, unfortunately, a lot of B&amp;Bs don't have that. However, if you are wanting the feeling of being in someone's home....although many English people nowadays do run their B&amp;B as a business.