Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cotswald region-Is it closed because of Hoof/Mouth Disease?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Fran

We are traveling to the Uk in October and are concerned that this particular area will be closed. <BR> <BR>What is the situation there now? <BR>Any thoughts would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Fran

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:57 AM
jhm

If you do a search of recent NYTimes articles on foot and mouth, they had an article about the tourist industry in various parts of England, and how it is suffering. I'd check that out and also (if you're American) give a call to the American Embassy in London (you'll get more of a straight answer than you would from the British embassy in the US).

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Jim

You'll probably want to make your question more specific. Right now, that's like asking if Florida is closed because of a hurricane.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Maria

Many areas are closed. The scenes on television of the mass slaughter on innocent healthy animals is 'stomach-churning'. I am not a Vegetarian but these sights are horrific. It is amazing that humanity can destroy so much life for the sake of a lamb cutlet!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Neville

Maria, <BR>Most of those animals would have been slaughtered for food in any case, so unless you are a vegeterian it really makes no difference.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:25 PM
sylvia

The scenes are making people realise that meat actually comes from dead animals. From the animals' point of view it doesn't make much difference if you end up on a dinner plate or a funeral pyre. Given the choice between being killed by a vet on their own territory or being driven for miles and then being killed by a slaughterman on minimum wages, I know what I'd choose. <BR> <BR>Getting back to the subject, Lots of places are due to re-open on or Just after April 1st <BR> <BR>Have a look at the up-to-date news on the following websites <BR> <BR>Forestry Commission <BR>http://www.forestry.gov.uk/ <BR> <BR>National Trust <BR>http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ <BR> <BR>English Heritage <BR>http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/ <BR>The crisis is almost certainly going to be over by October.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 12:11 AM
x

If you're not coming till October you really don't need to worry!