Cote d'Azur first-timers

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Elena

Cote d'Azur first-timers

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Riviera in early June. We're thinking about renting a car in Barcelona and driving there. Is that a Good idea? Also, we'd love to hear of any affordable and charming hotel and restaurant reccomendations. Thanks for the help.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:11 PM
StCirq

The Côte d'Azur is not my thing, so I'll let others give you tips about hotels and restaurants, but do you realize that if you rent a car in Barcelona and drop it off in France you will incur a very large drop-off fee?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:55 PM
xxx

It's a good idea if you have the time, like driving, and like the idea of being able to stop anywhere you want along the way.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:36 PM
flygirl

by all means, rent a car, however, as StCirq said, try to pick it up in France.

merely take a train from Barcelona to the nearest pickup spot in France, UNLESS it is not cost and time effective to do so (in other words, if you are only going to pay 200 bucks extra to pick it up in Barcelona, but the train tickets come to 125 for the two of you, is it really worth the 75 bucks saved, to schlep your stuff on the train?)

how long are you gone?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Linda

On 2 trips to the Riviera, I used Cannes as my base. I know others here have stated they find it too "glitzy", too expensive, etc. but we found it to be very enjoyable with something for all price ranges, whether in hotels, restaurants or shopping. Last trip and the one coming up in June 2003 I stayed at the Hotel Splendid. It's located right opposite the Film Festival buildings and La Croisette. They offered us a parking arrangement 5 min. walk away underground in the Pantiero. We were able to walk to the Marche Forvil (sp?) each morning or to the rue Menardier for fresh fruit, pastries, etc. Our room was large with a huge bathroom, big closet, wall safe and a kitchenette. Upon arrival there was a fruit basket and later a flower arrangement. My friend and I paid about $130 (Cnd)/night. My son and I have reserved for 5 nights at 115 Euros/night. From Cannes I have driven to Juan les Pins, Antibes, Biot, St.Paul de Vence, Nice, Monaco and in the other direction to St.Tropez. There are also commuter trains which run constantly back and forth along the coast. I know others will recommend Nice or Villefranche and I'd probably enjoy them too; all I can tell you is that I loved Cannes and look forward to returning.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:40 PM
John H

Hi, Elena,

I have been to the Riviera twice, staying once on St Jean Cap Ferrat (a wonderful, elegant peninsula that is a 15-20 minute drive into Nice) and once within walking distance of the old town of Nice. Staying right in Nice means you do not need a car -- trains/buses go most places. However, I have had a car both trips to make day trips out to Cannes, Eze, Monte Carlo, .... -- just the convenience factor.

The 4* Le Grimaldi Hotel in Nice is within 4-5 blocks of the water, a 10-minute walk to the old town, and very well priced. Check out www.le-grimaldi.com.

In St. jean Cap Ferrat, I stayed at Hotel Brise Marine: http://www.hotel-brisemarine.com

Enjoy!

John H.