Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cote d'Azur by train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cote-dazur-by-train-572442/)

Lakelady2282 Nov 22nd, 2005 07:15 PM

Cote d'Azur by train

Trying to work out whether it is worthwhile travelling by train. How much do you see say, on the train from Ventimiglia to St Raphael. Do you see anything at all of Monaco and Cannes? Would love to hear.

rex Nov 22nd, 2005 07:31 PM

As opposed to what other choice? Car rental? or a flyover, from somewhere in Italy, to somewhere north of Provence/Cote d'Azur?

Speaking in generalities... you see what you get off the train and see.

But you do travel along a certain bit of pretty coastline, especially between Nice and Antibes, for example.

Best wishes,

Rex

greg Nov 22nd, 2005 07:35 PM

I have done Monaco to Cannes (and beyond). The prettiest part is Monaco to Nice as the train hugs the cliff along the coast giving glimpse of millionaire homes dotting the Riviera, as your mind wonders off thinking perhaps, just perhaps, someone you know owns one of these homes, offering to let you spend a week ... sorry, back to the reality.

Is there other part of "whether"?

TransitBuddie Nov 22nd, 2005 07:43 PM

There are trains from Ventimiglia to Saint Raphaël. It's the TER (train express regional, which is a local train that only runs within the region). Tickets are about 13 EUR, one way, full fare (refundable).

GeoffHamer Nov 23rd, 2005 02:20 AM

You don't see anything of Monaco because the station is in a tunnel. The railway line used to run above ground, but the land was too valuable, so the railway goes in a tunnel, and more tower blocks have presumably been built on top.
The line is otherwise very scenic and there are some spectacular views of the coast.

kappa Nov 23rd, 2005 06:44 AM

There is a bus line No.100 that runs between Menton and Nice. Last weekend I took it from Eze-Mer to Nice. A sigle ticket was unbelievably low €1.30 (solo ticket) for any distance of trip between Menton and Nice. The bus route is on higher ground than that train route and the view over Villefranche-Sur-Mer for example was much better from the bus. Nice to Eze-Village via Moyenne-Corniche route (even higher) by Bus (No 82?) was great too. Amazing views!

kappa Nov 23rd, 2005 06:52 AM

Sorry you are asking for the train route. Last year I did Nice-Ventimiglia return by train. I also did Nice-Antibe last weekend by train. On those streches, views were not bad. If you do that by driving yourself, you can of course take higher route and can stop once in a while for some breath taking views. When I was at the top of Eze-Village, looking down over the winding route, my travel partner said "It could be around there that Grace of Monaco had the fatal car accident". Anyone knows if it's true about the precise location of the accident?

Lakelady2282 Dec 8th, 2005 03:23 AM

Thank you for your help guys. Time is of the premium so travelling by car just wasn't on the agenda. Glad to hear there are views from the train.

thereadbaron Dec 8th, 2005 05:54 AM

The views on the TGV (speediest train in France) are simply bliss.

Rail Europe has lots of French products...