Search

Cote d'Azur

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cote d'Azur

Hi,

Where is the nicest beach on the Cote d'Azur???

Thanks
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 06:57 AM

It's a large area. What are you looking for? St. Tropez has a beautiful beach (Tahiti). Juan les Pins has a great beach. Cap D'Antibes has a good beach too. They all have pros & cons. What's your definition of "nicest"?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I will be landing in Nice in the morning of August 13 (after a whole night on the plane). I will de driving to Aix-en-Provence on that day. However, since I will have my hotel only at night, I wanted to relax on the beach with the kids for our first day. I was looking for a sand beach with nice water to swim into!

Thanks

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM
DAX

It's a good 3 hour drive to Aix en Provence, it will be quite a challenge to survive the jetlag, the beach & a 3 hour drive. Mclaurie's recommendation of Juan les Pins beach cove is easily accessible from the freeway. St Tropez would be too far of a detour. My kids (same ages as yours) used to love the beach in downtown Monaco, but it's in the opposite direction. I would suggest staying one night in Nice/the Marriott in Cap d'Ail or even better in St Tropez to enjoy enjoy the beach. Sounds like a great trip!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:45 AM

The closest big, public, sandy beach I know to Nice airport would be at Juan les Pins. It's got eating and showering facilities too. I believe there's a parking charge though but it's a big lot. This is about a 30+ minute trip depending on traffic (which can be bad on the coast road). But the beaches that I know closer to the airport have pebbles vs sand.

People have mentioned the town of St Laurent du Var just west of Nice airport (about 15 mins) as being small and charming. I've never been there and am not sure what the beach facilities there would be like (sandy vs pebbly etc.) Going to St Tropez is really not a good idea. While the beach there is beautiful,it's quite a "schlepp" from Nice airport.

The beach in Beaulieau sur mer is said to have sandy beaches (I haven't been) and is a bit closer to the airport than Juan les Pins I think.

I think I agree with Dax about staying one night in or near Nice before continuing on to a 3 hour drive. While I've not been there, the Marriottt in Cap D'Ail is a good idea (very close to the airport) but not sure about the beach there.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:19 AM

The drive to Aix swhould be more like 2-1/2 hours, as it's all on the autoroute. A beach stop at Juan les Pins would be very pleasant, although the traffic going down from the autoroute to Juan can be maddeningly slow at times. Possibly the easiest thing to do would be to head for Fréjus, a beach resort area, with fairly straightforward access off of and back onto the motorway. It's a very kid-friendly place, too.