Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Costal or Inland Villa in Tuscany for a week in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 12:52 PM
bob

I'm planning the middle week of my honeymoon for early June. Starting 4 days at the Lake Como, and finishing with 3 days in Venice. <BR><BR>I'm going to stay 7 days in a private Villa in Tuscany. I've searched these boards and found many websites with places to rent, (rentvillas.com, tuscanynow.com, slowtrav.com) etc.. However, before I get specific, I'm not sure which area of Tuscany is best to have as a base for a week. <BR><BR>We are looking for great food, wine, relaxation and romance. We'll want to take some day trips, and we will have a car.<BR><BR>Thoughts on your favorite towns in Tuscany for this would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Bob

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 02:14 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Bob, I see Tuscany in 5 geographic regions--they are:<BR>NW--Lucca area<BR>Chianti--between Florence and Siena<BR>East--Cortona/ Arezzo<BR>SW--Grosetto area<BR>South--Montepulciano/Montalcino et al<BR><BR>Opinions vary, but I find the south to be most enjoyable but must admit that a Chianti location can be very convenient.<BR>Look around Colle val d, Elsa and San Gim. if you want north of Siena, and around Montalcino/Pienza if you want south. Either will give you an hour radius to much of Tuscany.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Dona

Bob,<BR><BR>I'm sure you won't go wrong with whatever you choose - it's all wonderful...<BR><BR>If it were me, I'd probably choose the area close to Florence like Radda, Gaiole, Castellina, Greve... it's close to Florence so you can head in for the day. It's close to the shore of Tuscany - where there are some of the best beaches I've encountered in Tuscany. It's in the heart of Tuscany with the best food and wine you can imagine. And it's not too far out of the way from Lake Como and Venice.<BR><BR>As I said, I'm sure you won't go wrong with wherever you choose. Congratulations on your wedding and let us know if you need any other suggestions...<BR><BR>Dona

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Alice Twain

Coast. In June you deserve to relax on a beach for a couple of days during your stay in Tuscany. I would find a place to sleep (no villas, better an agritourism room, which can be found at www.agriturismo.regione.toscana.it) not far from the coast in the area of Parco Nazionale dell'Uccellina or near the Monte Argentario. From this area you will be able to both spend some time on a nice beach and use a car to reach several wonderful areas, such as the Monte Amiata, with loads of things to see 8Pitigliano is a must!).<BR><BR>Bob, your list leaves off several very interesting areas of Tuscany: Colline metallifere, Northern Maremma, Monte Amiata, Casentino, Valdichiana, Alpi Apuane, Appenini...

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Maria

Don't forget to visit the region of Saturnia with the Etruscan baths. Skip the luxurious hotels and stay overnight at one of the nearby agriturismo bed-and-breakfast places. Try the non-conventional free-of charge bath - I promise that you have never seen anything like it. No beach, no fancy changing huts; simply very non-touristic and easy to reach if you have a car. Warning - you will smell of sulphur for a day or two as will your clothes ! Toscana is nice wherever you go but remember to ask for a car with a/c because June is hot and dry. Firenze - my second home town - is best seen by foot and with lots of time. Try to spend at least 2-3 days there...<BR>Buon viaggio e viva gli sposi !!!<BR>Maria

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Alice Twain

There are several smaller thermal baths in the area. Some are so small and non touristy known that you might expect to be all alone if you go there very early in the morning or at night. And being two people alone near a hot pool can be fun, even if it smells of sulphur, especially if th eother person is not a friend or a relative!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 06:14 AM
bob

Thanks for the advice. I will have a car. I'll be coming from the Lakes, and don't need to be at a beach, so maybe it makes sense to stay in the Chianti area for daytrips and make a run for a day to the beach??<BR><BR>Can you please advise to the differences between the types of places to stay. Agriturismo vs. private villa vs B&amp;B. <BR><BR>We'll only be 2 people, but we're not trying to pinch pennies, this is once in a lifetime.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the advice so far. Keep it coming.<BR><BR>bob

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 06:37 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Bob, There are hundreds of good places. You need to select the type you want. I think you may want a rural apt. rather than a villa or B&amp;B. Go to this site and search by location and type of property: www.tuscany.net Look at Castel Bigozzi near Colle for a start.<BR>Also look at www.palazzodelcapitano.com<BR>Good luck--you will have fun !

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Alice Twain

A villa rental is just that: you have a biulding for yourself, self cater (or eat at restaurants) and that's all. A bed an breakfast means that you rent a room with breakfast ina smallish building, nad tis is usually in a town or city or village. Quality of these places (as well as prices) can vary hugely: some are just modern looking rooms with someone serving lukewarm cofee and industrial cakes for breakfast, some are placed in historical buildings of great charm and offer large, elaborate and high quality breakfasts. Agritourisms are more or less the equivalent of B&amp;b in the countryside. They are placed inside working farms. You can get different types of lodging at an agritourism: some offer rooms for rent, some offer indipendend houses or small apartments; some ony offer sleeping places, most offer sleeping places and breakfast, some also offer dinner (occasionally alo lunch). Also in this case the quality of the lodging is mixed, from very basic to luxuriant places. in most cases villas are rented for full weeks only, while B&amp;b and agritourisms offer lodging for periods of any length. Also, usually B&amp;bs and agritourisms offer the possibility to interact directly with the owners on a dayly basis, as well as with other guests.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Pam

Bob, we just returned from three weeks in Italy the middle of which we spent in Chianti. I think the food was great and the hilltowns an adventure. I would defintiely recommend Siena, Montepulciano and Montalcino. I felt I got the greatest sense of life going on around me in these three places versus the other hilltowns we visited. These were all daytrips for us from our &quot;homebase&quot; near Greve. Get a copy of the Italian Touring Club map of Tuscany before you go..it saved us. Roads(the smaller ones) are not particularly well marked in Chianti.<BR>If you want great food in Chianti and romance as well I recommend the Osteria Badia en Passignano(the Antinori Estate restaurant)..it has great food,wine and service. We rented through Rentvillas.com and were pleased with them. Friends of ours have rented through them 2 or 3 times and recommended them to us. Also...if this is your first trip I recommend you check out Italian Road runners. He does day trip planning with directions from your villa and back for several places around Tuscany(to some extent your choosing)He can be contacted through Rentvillas.com. Have a great time..we went on to Venice for six days after Tuscany and have just returned. We loved Venice..and encourage you to explore the areas away from San Marco Piazza as we found them more interesting. Have a wonderul time! Pam

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have located a villa near Grosetto for a week in May. We would like to spend a day walking the five Cinque Terre villages. Is it possible to take a train or drive to do this in one day? Thanks for your help.