Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Costa del Sol? Rate your favs plz (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/costa-del-sol-rate-your-favs-plz-760939/)

amsdon Jan 12th, 2009 06:31 AM

Costa del Sol? Rate your favs plz

We are going to Andalucia in Oct 09 with several friends. After our time in Madrid & parts of Andalucia, we have been invited to stay on for a week with one or two couples in a condo in CDS for free. I am well aware of the negatives of CDS and have stayed in Torremolinos. This nevertheless is free & I know we will have a blast. (I had a great time in Torremolinos once before).But thinking Marbella may be a better choice if their condo trade is available.

Can you share your preference on these spots and comment why?Torremolinos/Marbella/Esteponia
/Mijas Costa/Mijas (the usual time share communities)

Thanks

ana maria

artlover Jan 12th, 2009 03:14 PM

We love the Marriott Marbella time share and would go back in a heartbeat. Didn't like Torremolinos at all, but as a base with a car, it might be tolerable. Haven't stayed in the other places, and although Mijas is charming (grant it, touristy), it might be a bit out of the way for a base to explore.

You might try checking out the reviews on tug2.org for more information on timeshares in CDS.

Lily Jan 12th, 2009 05:03 PM

Is Nerja included? We stayed there for a week in 2007 and really enjoyed it. It's smaller and somewhat less touristy than Torremolinos, etc.

amsdon Jan 12th, 2009 05:59 PM

Thanks...I did not see Nerja on her list but I will ask.

Cruise I I did see two Mariotts in Marbella, which one ?

Also were there any eating places in walking distance to it?

Gracias!

I am alos hoping to hear about Esteponia from someone since it may be better to see see Cadiz.

Maribel Jan 12th, 2009 08:43 PM

Hi amsdon,
We rented a condo above Puerto Banús once (Nueva Andalucía actually) and shopped and spent time in Estepona. It would be my choice because it's closer to that great drive on the A377-A369 up through the Serranía past the towns of Gaucín, Benarrabá, Benalauría to Ronda. In addition, it lies closer to the sherry triange of Jerez de la Frontera, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, El Puerto de Santa María plus Cádiz (flamenco!!).

But this is my opinion on location rather than on the condo property itself.

amsdon Jan 13th, 2009 10:48 AM

Thanks Maribel I am hoping my companions will be as enthusiastic as I on that.

Is Nueva Andalucia basically a condo community or recent developement or do they actually have a town center etc?

Maribel Jan 13th, 2009 11:16 AM

amsdon,
Nueva Andalucía is (or was) simply a development of condos, villas, golf courses, perched above Puerto Banús. It had a tiny gallery of a few shops (which may have expanded), but for groceries and major shopping we drove to San Pedro de Alcántara or on to Estepona, the closest two "real" towns to the west.

amsdon Jan 13th, 2009 06:01 PM

I figured as much.
I really had to get used to the idea of the CDS condo to tell the truth. While Nueva Andalucia is probably more relaxing and pretier than Torrmolinos my guess is my pals want to be in the tick of things, that's ok too. We'll have to see.

Initially I was hoping just to share their condo for a few days at the end of our trip and stay at La Fructuosa and or somewhere else. But it reflects quite a savings..$$$...and since I work in banking and worried from day to day if I will have a job tomorrow. (:|
I have seriously thought of chaging careers and working for La Española or in some other food related position at least I would be surrounded by chorizos.

amsdon Feb 22nd, 2009 09:16 AM

Well it looks like my friends were given one choice in Benalmadena only. The timeshare is Sahara Sunset In Benalmadena, a 2 bedroom. Not bad location? Yes I knmow it's in Condo-land but sounds like a fun place, Benalmadena?

Since this is for the last 6 days we will use it as a base & see some white villages. Maybe stay overnight somewhere but really for ther free stay can't complain.

Maribel/everyone how long/far would it be to drive to Cadiz from there? 2-3 hours? Would a daytrip make for too long of a day?

Maribel Feb 22nd, 2009 11:09 AM

Hi amsdon,
Guiarepsol.com (formerly Campsa) estimates a drive of 2 hr. 34 min. You'll pay a toll of 13 euros. It takes you on the AP7 above the coast until almost Algeciras, then you go inland through Medina Sidonia up to Jerez then down to Cádiz. The GuiaRepsol routing is usually a bit faster than viamichelin.com, so I think this is too much to chew off for a day trip.

I spent two summers as a teacher/au pair in the Benalmádena-Fuengirola-Torremolinos area.
You can take day trips into Málaga to see the Picasso museum and do tapas and visit the new Wine Museum, dine in Benahavís, go up to Ojén on the A7103 and beyond to the Refugio de Juanar for a nice walk through the hunting grounds down to the coastal viewpoint, visit Ronda, do that beautiful drive up the A 369 to Gaucín, then Benalauría to the Mesón la Molienda (lunch), and due north you can reach Antequera and El Torcal Nature Park. Plus there's Granada (I wrote a file just for you and eskrunchy!)

You'll find plenty to do.

amsdon Feb 22nd, 2009 11:31 AM

Thanks Maribel!

I will save this info and be sure to use it as we did all your other info (in my index cards). I am flattered about the Granada file. Thank you. I have already recommended the Alcubilla del Caracol & they loved it.

I was hoping to go to Gaucin & had contacted La Fructuosa initially but may only be there passing through as you did.
We'll have to see. This trip has a focus on friendship & traveling together (due to so many having illneses) more than my own passions. Lets face it the "normal" people usually cannot handle flamenco night & day & that includes DH. Too bad I could.

But have always wanted to see Cadiz. Maybe the Hurok sisters can do something for the flamenco & food fanatics? I am still having some trouble with the rutas de los territorios, the consulate here is not that informed.
I did get the book though. I also have an e mail contact I will follow through on from Beth Nesbit who wites the Vida Flamenca newletter.

Back to Costa del Sol....are there any favorite eating places of yours (on the coast) you would share with us besides the one you mentioned?

ana maria

Maribel Feb 22nd, 2009 03:51 PM

Hi amsdon,
I understand completely about the focus of this trip. When hubby and I travel with our friends, we try not to subject them to all of our Spain passions at once! We try to introduce them little by little, and we have yet to do flamenco with them since they go with us to the north (but they sure did LOVE Pedraza and the Hospedería!).

I've been following an egullet thread on dining on the Costa del Sol, and a frequent and quite knowledgeable poster, Rogelio, recommends the following:

Altamirano, on the plaza of the same name in Marbella's Old Quarter
El Ancla, the place to try an espeto de sardinas in San Pedro de Alcántara

My Gourmetour '09 is very keen on El Higueron in Fuengirola (gives it a 7/10)
www.elhigueron.com
and La Langosta at Francisco Cano 1, Los Boliches

also Frutos and Med (both get a 7/10) in Torremolinos. The first is on Avenida de la Rivera 80 in the Urbanización los Alamos, between airport and Torremolinos and has an outdoor terrace (closed Sun. night) and the second at Las Mercedes 12, 2nd floor at the Balcón de San Miguel (great sea views, closed Mon.) For high rated restaurants they aren't too pricey.

My Campsa guide (my Spain restaurant bible) also likes Frutos, above, in Torremolinos and El Higuerón in Fuengirola plus in Torremolinos, El Figón de Montemar, on avenida Pez Espada 101 (inexpensive, closed Sun.) And in Benalmádena Pueblo (not costa), the CasaFidel on Maestra Ayala 1. Average check, 30 euros. Closed Tues.

amsdon Feb 22nd, 2009 05:38 PM

Fantastic! Since we will also be in Torremolinos this is just perfect.

I owe you one again... ;;)

josele Feb 23rd, 2009 12:33 AM

I personally hi-rate Frutos, El Higueron and Altamirano.
Another place dear to me that I rec. is Escuela de Hosteleria de Benalmadena in Benalmadena pueblo, http://www.laconsula.com in english and with driving directions. Mon to Fri lunch only, reservation mandatory.

amsdon Feb 23rd, 2009 05:58 AM

Gracias Josele, the school in particular looks interesting.
Thank you.

josele Feb 23rd, 2009 08:51 AM

Ana, if you decide to go to the Escuela, best parking place is by the elevator, an open square below the town church, with an elevator to go up to the church square and Calle Santo Domingo.

amsdon Feb 23rd, 2009 10:59 AM

Hmmm, it's close to a church?
Our friends want to renew their vows on the trip.
They are Catholic. Do you think it might be possible to have a blessing or some sort of vow re-newal ceremony there at that church? Then we could go to the escuela for a lunch or dinner.

What is the name of that church?

Thanks so much.

josele Feb 23rd, 2009 10:06 PM

The name is Iglesia de Santo Domingo de Guzman. Look at some photos at http://www.ciao.es/Iglesia_de_Santo_...adena__1133641
I'll phone them along the day with your request.

josele Feb 24th, 2009 12:48 AM

I have spoken with Don Antonio the parish priest, and he request further information. Better e-mail me to [email protected].

amsdon Feb 24th, 2009 05:37 AM

Wow thanks Josele I will do that thank you so much.