Costa Brava or Costa del Sol for 5 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of visiting Spain this June for a couple of weeks and in between 3-day visits to Barcelona and Sevilla (my favorite) would like to spend some time in one of these 2 places. We are in our late 20s and are looking to relax on a beach during the day and go out for dinner and drinks at night. We do not want to be trapped on a resort with hordes of tour package travelers. We are willing, although not necessarily looking to spend around $150-200 a night. It seems that the Costa del Sol is active and developed, while Costa Brava is quaint and charming. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any good information on the real differences between the two. Any suggestions on places to go and hotels to stay at are much appreciated.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:09 PM

I've never been to the Costa Brava, but I would not recommend the Costa Del Sol for the beach. The development is really ugly with too many huge buildings right up to the water and also blocking the view of the sea from anything behind it including the highway. There were, however, many interesting towns just inland from the coast (like Ronda).
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Neither the Costa Brava nor the Costa del Sol are geographically compatible with "in between 3-day visits to Barcelona and Sevilla" June is too early for the Costa Brava. I concur with SloPugs on the Costa del Sol. The beaches are not very good and it's a 'package tour' type of place. I would try the Costa Blanca (Benidorm, Campello (Playa Muchavista) or Alicante)
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:19 AM

These areas are crammed with package tours, from here in the UK and Germany too. If crowds are not your thing, I wouldn't go, although June is before the school holidays. The Costa Del Sol is full of high rise hotels catering for all the tourists. And, sorry to say, some of 'em do behave badly! ie sangria/sun/more sangria!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:00 AM

I was in Costa del Sol (Nerja) last June. I was not impressed. It was loaded with tourists. The beach in Nerja was pretty basic and the sand and water were nothing to brag about. We stayed at the Parador there which had a very nice pool and lounge area and did afford nice views of the surrounding hills/cliffs. So, if you are dying for some beach/pool time, I would recommend the parador but don't stay in the Costa del Sol too long. There are so many other wonderful things to see in Spain.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:02 AM

Very fond of the Costa Brava. June may indeed be too soon to swim (or it may not -- late June maybe fine) but no reason not to enjoy the scenery of Tossa, Lloret, etc. and drinks on a terrace.<BR><BR>On the other hand, for me 3 days was not nearly enough just to spend in Barcelona.