Trip report – A couple days in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from quick trip to Paris, I spent a lot of quality time in line at the airport. Ninety minutes at passport control at CDG before my return flight and it took just under three hours to clear customs in Philly. It was worth it, of course.

I stayed at the Hotel Regina for the first time, and I absolutely looooved the room. I had a fantastic view of The Tuileries and Eiffel Tower from the window, plus very close to Angelina’s – always a plus. I didn’t use the concierge service, so no thoughts on that, but very friendly staff.

In Paris, I did no dancing (I still haven’t been to La Suite), no shopping and very little drinking.

I planned to give the Louvre a few minutes not only because it was across the street, but because I wanted to see the mummified cat. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate the cat (or determine its whereabouts) as I got distracted trying to figure out what a “fibule” was and had to bolt for an 11AM meeting.

I had dinner at L’Arpege, and felt slightly overdressed in a black pencil skirt and blousy strapless top (wish I had gone black pants and blouse instead). The dinner was a lovely experience (I had the vegetarian tasting menu), but I think I would have rather had one of the rings I saw at Pianegonda at the same price (well over $1,000 for two WITHOUT expensive wine).

I saw the Rolling Stones at Stade de France (Mick is still soooooo H-O-T (especially when he is speaking French)), but the crowd was fairly subdued and of course the stadium is so massive it seemed half empty. I failed to consider that the venue is outdoors, I would have paid exorbitantly for a jacket to cover my rockin’ outfit. However, I was extraordinarily impressed by how well the metro handled all the departing fans (DC take notes!).

I visited the the Dali museum (Espace Dali) behind Sacre Coeur off the place du Tertre which was surprisingly worth the 10 euro it now costs to enter. I did a very difficult (for me) jog from the Hotel Regina to Sacre Coeur and entered the museum clad in my sneakers and my “most stylish” workout gear……. I was slightly embarrassed about my attire at first, but found it difficult to feel at all out of place in such an environment (don’t worry it was cool enough that I was not sweaty or smelly). Plus, I preferred my own iPod tunes to the somewhat cheesy (in my opinion) museum soundtrack. The subterranean space and strange lighting enhanced the overall experience and if I hadn’t been so hungry, I would’ve stayed for more than an hour.

Not much else of note, tried Berthillon for the first time, didn’t find it any better than Coldstone Creamery (other than the caramel au beurre salé flavor)...certainly didn’t compare to the Mont Blanc eaten at Angelina’s with my chocolat chaud (I don’t think one can get more decadent). I walked almost exclusively in a pair of 4 inch wedges with no difficulties, I ran every morning and saw more joggers than I have ever seen before (and dressed like real runners!). . . and I never once pulled out my dictionary.

My next trip to Paris is in September, at which time I am going to be entirely focused on the nightlife, and I am already, instead of catching up on my work, outlining my game plan.

Maddie
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
ira

Hi M,

Thanks for sharing.

>I had dinner at L’Arpege...well over $1,000 for two WITHOUT expensive wine..<

And all your are going to tell us is that you had rabbit food?

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM

There are always joggers in Parc Monceau.
I can't even think about a Mont Blanc AND a choc-chaud at Angelina's. Sugar coma for sure.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, maddie,

just googled L'arpege - noted the lack of prices. how much for two? - did that include aperitifs, wine, armangnac, etc?

£500 for a meal is quite a lot of dosh.

but good for you having such a good time.

regards, ann
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM

I love the Stones, I go to every one of their live shows I can -- which shows my age as I started going to their concerts around 1964.

What do you mean about dancing at La Suite -- that's a trendy restaurant on ave Georges V, with not too bad prices for that area. They have a bar, but I have never heard of dancing there.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

I believe the tasting menu at L'Arpege was 340 euro each so I guess the rest was booze. I wish I could describe each of the courses, but I am not sure I even knew what I was eating (sorry Ira).

Christina, this was my first Rolling Stones concert, but I am looking forward to catching them again, it was an awesome show. As for La Suite, I have reports of dancing from my girlfriends, but then again, they are the sort who might dance anywhere, so all the more reason to find out for myself