Best way to Bellagio from Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling from Venice to Bellagio via public transportation. Does it make more sense to take the train to Como and then the ferry from there? Or is it better to train to Varenna and take that ferry across to Bellagio? From my reading here, it seems that it is a little bit of a walk from the Varenna train station to the ferry. How much does that factor in with two rolling suitcases? Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:17 PM

No, it's not a long walk at all! And considerably shorter than the distance to cover in [much bigger] Como. We did it easily with rolling suitcases. From memory - it was 2002 - it was no more than a hundred metres, probably less, and a beautiful view to enjoy at the wharf if you have to wait.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM

The Varenna train station is certainly more than 100 meters from the dock. It is a good 15 minute walk, but all down hill.

Personally, I would take the ferry from Como, because I like boats and being on the lake. But check the ferry schedules for the most convenient connections from Como, which are less frequent than in Varenna.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:40 AM

If you are arriving in Como after 7pm, Varenna is the only choice by boat. Varenna - Bellagio ferry runs till about 9pm on weekends and 10pm on weekdays. If you arrive in Como after the last boat, you will need to use a ground transport to get to Bellagio.

There are 2 ways to get to Bellagio via Como by train if you are coming from Venice.

The train from Venice arrives in Milano Centrale. From there, you can take a Trenitalia train to Como San Giovanni. The train station is not close to the Como boat dock. It is much much longer walk than Varenna to the Varenna ferry dock.

The other COMO train route is to get to Milano Cadorna from Milano Centrale by metro or by taxi, then take Ferrovie Nord train (not Trenitalia. www.lenord.it) to COMO Lago, which is closer to the boat dock than from San Giovanni but still a hike.

Unlike the car ferries connecting Varenna, Bellagio, and Menaggio (Autogtraghetto), it is a pain to schlep luggage onto passenger boats.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my favorite memories of Lake Como is walking down the hill from the Varenna station as the lake comes into view...

My guess is it's almost 1 km.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM

can you take a train that goes directly from venice to varenna?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No. You have to go to Milano Centrale and change trains.