Reload this Page >

Fattoria Villa Maionchi/Lucca, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Sharon

We are planning to stay at Fattoria Villa Maionchi for a week in the Spring. We would appreciate any information as this is our first trip to Italy. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:08 AM
erica

I was there last fall (00) to buy olive oil and am familiar with the location, but have no idea about the housing. Do you have a web site? I'd love to see it. It is very close to Lucca, as I'm sure you know, but also be sure to drive up to the Devil's Bridge and through the Garfagnana. There is a good driving tour in the green Michelin guide.<BR><BR>I recommend La Mora in Ponte a Moriano for lunch or dinner. Fabulous and worth the splurge. We also enjoyed Romano in Viareggio for seafood, of course.<BR><BR>If you like gardens go to Villa Reale, which is very close. The day we intended to visit, it was pouring and we ran out of time. Read about it in Garden of Lucca by Paul Gervais. Hey, you can visit their garden also, I believe.<BR><BR>BTW, they really do make the BEST olive oil and we've shipped many cases home 2 years in a row. Buy all you can fit.<BR><BR>Why have you chosen this area for your first visit? Most people go south, but I do really like it. Just know you will be 1 1/2 hrs from Florence. What else do you wanna do in that week?

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Edward Spiers

was there late August '01. Definitely do Garfagna Valley up to Barga, Villa Real is fantastic, Take the train to Florence, DON'T DRIVE THERE!, Lucca is ok, climb a tower for the view, eat at Buca de San Antonio, shop the Hypermarket called Carrefoure for food and food type gifts, driving a car isn't that bad but you need a navigator to watch for the small signs to the Autostrada. This area is less touristy, close to Pisa,beach (viareggio), San Germignano(you have to drive there I am sorry to report, its a full day). Enjoy!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:19 AM
erica

Ed - tell me more about Villa Reale please. I am so sorry I missed it.<BR><BR>Did you like the olive oil as much as I do? Bring any home?<BR><BR>Also Sharon, you could do the Cinque Terre from this location also.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Sharon

Erica & Ed, thank you very much for the info. We actually start our vacation in Rome, taking a 7 day tour that takes us from Rome to Venice and back. We wanted to spend more time in the Tuscany area and we fly home out of Pisa, so I am hoping that this will be a central location for some day trips and also learn alittle of their farm culture. We are staying for a week. Can you tell me if the Villa is in close proximity to Lucca, shops, restaurants? Thanks again for your help.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Ingrid

Erica, their website is http://www.fattoriamaionchi.it/ They are also recommende in the Karen Brown guide, I believe. <BR>Sharon, I also asked about this place but can't rememember if I got any response. In any case, do a search here.