Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give me suggestions on where to dine in Paris?

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Paris (by myself) the evening of April 29th and need desperately help in choosing one place to eat. It is my first time in Paris, and since I don't have much time, I would like it to be memorable - within my budget . I need somewhere between Gare du Nord and Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysees, I guess, since I'm arriving from that station, and then I would like to go to Laduree (Champs Elysees) to try their macaroons, and take a picture of the Arc de Triomphe - from a distance, and check out the Monoprix also on Champs Elysees, then take the bus to my hotel. I would like to spend no more than 35 euros (entree/plat/dessert), but I don't have to worry about wine and stuff since I don't drink alcoholic beverages. I would like to try traditional french cuisine and am particularly interested in duck and foie of some sort. I like cozy instead of trendy, but I enjoy beauty and good taste. And I would rather go to where locals go; don't like touristy places too much. I think I can remember enough of my French to get by if the waiters are sufficiently nice. I'm dreading the possibility of having to deal with rude Parisians. Please, help!! I have been researching for more than a month and have not been able to decide on anything feasible. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
ira

Hey CBR,

Calm down. Compared to my first visit to Paris, the Parisians are down right affable.

Where is your hotel located?

What time are you arriving?

Are you planning on dinner before you go to your hotel?

Are you going to the Monoprix with a suitcase?

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Check out this thread

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...cut-prices.cfm

Any of the listed restaurants that appeal to you located in the 1rst, 2nd or 3rd arrondissement would fit your bill.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just eat at the very traditional and luxurious Terminus Nord, directly across from Gare du Nord. It will fit your budget, and it is part of the highly considered Flo Brasseries chain.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies.

Michael, thanks for the link.

To answer your questions, Ira:

My tiny hotel is located on Av. Motte-Picquet close to Av. Grenelle, 15eme.
I arrive at Gare du Nord at about 7 pm.
I was thinking it would be better to eat first, go to Laduree, go to Monoprix, then go to the hotel. There is a bus that stops in front of that Monoprix that takes me to my hotel.
No luggage. I'll leave my suitcase at the airport in London before I take the train to Paris.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kerouac. Terminus Nord sounds interesting. Do you know whether they change their menu for Spring? What they have posted on their website did not appeal to me too much. But that's the type of place I would like to visit. Have you been there? Is it elegant like at least some of the other brasseries? I was unable to see any pictures on line.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Are you aware that there is a Laduree on Rue Bonaparte in the 6th? If you walk up Rue Bonaparte (from Laduree) to Blvd. St. Germaine--Deux Maggots is on the corner--there is a very nice Monoprix just a few steps up Rue de Rennes.

Le Relais de Comptoir--which serves foie gras--is in this nabe.

After dinner, you could take the Metro to Arc de T and then head back to your hotel.

Thin
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Here is a link to a great blog written by an American chef living in Paris. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/paris/ I have linked you to the page of his restaurant recs.

In addition, I have heard wonderful things about Chez Michele near the Gare du Nord, but we have missed getting there on our previous trips.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cries_Van_Notebook.
No, I did not know any of that. I'll check those restaurants out. My only concern is having to carry shopping sacks around while sightseeing. By the way, Is Blvd. St. Germaine as nice as les Champs Elysees?
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Laduree on rue Bonaparte closes at 7:30. The one on the Champs Elysees is open until 11PM.

There are 2 Laduree locations in London; one in Harrods and the other in the Burlington Arcade.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, PJ.
The list looks good, and it mentions Chez Michel. If I end up going there, I'll let you know what I think.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Adrienne.
I guess it rules Laduree Bonaparte out, then. Unless I go there first... something to think about.
Unfortunately, my only chance of going to Laduree is in Paris since I'll be in London basically only long enough to catch the train in St. Pancras.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM

I wouldn't go at the very end of the day as the pickings will be slim. If you're getting into Gare du Nord at 7:00 then you'll be lucky to get to rue Bonaparte by 7:30 if you're taking the bus.

Just to be nosy...you're just traveling through London and in Paris only for the evening? Where are you coming from and going to? As I said...I'm a nosy parker!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Sweetie darling, I DESPISE the Champs Elysee. There is nothing to see except hordes of teenagers, the showrooms of auto dealerships, McDonald's, and a few jewellery stores that could be in any suburban mall. There is a Louis Vuitton shop on the Champs, however, if you are into that. It really is a generic bore.

The 6th is my favourite area of Paris, but if the Laduree on Rue Bonaparte closes at 7:30, then I guess you have to go to Champs location.

Why are you taking the bus? Can't you take the metro???? It is much faster and oh so easy. Easy as a macaroon from Laduree.

Thin
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne, it's OK to be curious. This is my story:
I'll stop in London on my way back home (Texas) from Denmark where I'll be visiting a friend. But I found out I could catch my connection the next day, and I thought it would be fun - even though kind of crazy, to take the train and go to Paris for that time. I always wanted to go to France, (and England too) so I'll take what I get, even if it is a few hours.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thin,
I had no idea the Champs Elysees were like that. I had a more glamorous idea about it. Since that is the case, I'll have to rethink my plans. I was trying to find a restaurant nearby to enjoy the area, but I guess it would be better to go some place else nicer, like the 6eme, like you said.
The bus is the shortest route from Monoprix Champs Elysees to my hotel. I have no problem in taking the metro; actually, I would rather take the metro than the bus.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM
ira

Hi CBR,

Thin is right about the Champs Elysee.

My suggestion:

Go to www.ratp.fr for metro/bus directions from Paris Nord to Laduree on Champs Elysee (75, avenue des Champs Elysées, Paris) That will take about 0:30 hr by metro.

Buy your macaroons.

Take the metro to Cluny-La Sorbonne (It is the corner of Boul St Germain and Boul St. Mich.

Walk up West on Boul St Germaine to the Eglise St. Germain des Pres. There are restos all along the route as well as on the streets off Rue Princess (near the church).

There is a monoprix at 50 rue de Rennes, very near the church, open until 22:00.

To get to your hotel:
A: Walk back along Boul St Germain to the Mabillon stop and take the no 10: direction Boulogne Pont de Saint-Cloud to La Motte-Picquet - Grenelle.

B: Walk back to the St Germain Stop, take the no. 4: Direction Clignancourt to Odeon and transfer to the no 10: Direction Boulogne Pont de Saint-Cloud to La Motte-Picquet - Grenelle.

C: Walk up Rue de Rennes to the St. Sulpice stop and proceed as in B.

Enjoy your visit.