Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cost of Transportation - Prague Airport to Hotel

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have received an offer to transport the two of us from the Prague airport to our hotel for €26 or 705 Czech crowns. The means of transportation is by car.

How does this compare with the cost of a taxi from the airport to a hotel in Mala Strana?

The cost is quoted as being per car, NOT per person!!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Iím not sure about the taxi costs, but you may want to take the private car service. Itíll be less hassle as the price is already negotiated. That is what we chose. In other cities like Paris we donít mind taking the taxi, but we didnít want to deal with it in Prague.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Based upon what I paid for a taxi in Prague in January 2006, 26 EUR sounds right.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM

It sounds a little high to me, but not highway robbery. I think most recently I've paid about 600 CK to the Josefov area, which I think is a little farther from the airport -- but aside from distance, that is still a big difference. Maybe they are charging you more because you have two people, and I pay for one person (but I think my hotels usually do have a service that charges per car, actually). That was in 2006. I paid about 500 CK a few years before that.

I don't take taxis from the airport, I take a private car arranged by the hotel, or use one of the group shuttle vans at the airport (which are very convenient, as unlike in Paris, you do not have to reserve in advance), or a private car that you don't reserve but is at the curb at the airport. They have some car service that is at the curb with some typical name on it like Airport Taxi or something. It is like a private car, but not one you've reserved in advance. They charge flat rates, unlike taxis, which is why I prefer them. The airport isn't that far from central PRague, so if you aren't in a hurry, the group shuttle vans aren't a bad deal there. Of course, the time I did that I was lucky and got left off first. They are about half the rate of a private car, as I recall.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM

I just checked at one hotel I've stayed at, and they now charge 850 CK from the airport to near Powder Gate, so that sounds about right.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM

I'd sooner drink castor oil than take a taxi in Prague. In my experience, they're notorious rip-off artists that pull tricks like saying the meter doesn't work, circle around and take long routes to pad charges, and more.

At least the transport you describe has a fixed price and might be honest.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

The rate quoted in CK was 705.
If another hotel wants 850 CK, 705 sounds good to me.

After an all night flight, I don't want to fight buses and trams in a city I totally do not know.

At 75, I don't have the stamina I had at 55.

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I'm using Mike's chauffeur service in April.He quoted 550cz.Found him on Rick Steve's web site.
He was prompt answering my e-mail.
www.mike-chauffeurservice.com
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM

we arrived in Prague in November from NYC and had arranged for a car through our hotel for about 26 euro. It was great having someone waiting with a warm, silent, comfortable mercedes to take us to the hotel. We paid the same amount to take us back to the airport since we had a very early flight and the overall convenience can not be beat.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:12 AM

I am currently in Prague, having arrived on March 18. I prebooked a shuttle for 16 Euros at www.123-prague.com.(It is 18 euros for 2 people).

The driver was standing in the
Arrivals area with a sign with my name on it, and since I was the only passenger, we went straight to my hotel. I was very pleased with the service, and have booked them for my return flight.

I stayed at 2 different hotels in Prague. The first wanted 600 Czech crowns for airport pickup, and the second 750. So the 705 crowns you were quoted is a little high, but in the ballpark. If you are interested in a shuttle, I recommend the one I took,123-Prague.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM

Prague has a very simple and extensive public transport system the logical thing would be to book a week's tram/bus ticket which would be less than the money you are talking about here. As you exit the arrivals, turn right an walk to the bus sales point next to tourist info. They speak good English and you are away. If you need currency the ATM are either side of the main entrance back at arrivals

If you must do the car the price is about right