Cost of rental car in Italy

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM
KDP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of rental car in Italy

We will be picking our car up in Chiusi. I was told the Hertz Piazza Dante and the Chiusi Scalo offices where right at the train station. This is correct right?
We have decided to drop it off at the Florence airport.
I am wondering if someone would share with me how much it has cost them per day? Everything I'm finding is aroun 50 Euros per day. I'm just wondering if this is the normal price or if I should keep looking. Thanks again
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM

Realize that if you drop off or pick up the car at an aitport location, you automatically add 10% to the cost of your rental because of an additional tax added for airport car rentals.
We've rented a car with automatic transmission for next May from Hertz and will pick the car up at the train station location in Orvieto which isn't too far from Chiusi.
Watch you insurance deductibles etc for the car rates. I found cheaper rates with some rental agencies and then found that the deductible for car damage was VERY high.
Our rental for 7 days will be about $600 which includes insurance with zero deductible.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:52 PM

Eyes: Be advised that the Hertz location in Orvieto IS NOT at the train station, no matter what they tell you on the website or telephone. The nice Hertz lady will drive to meet you, but you should have her cell phone number with you (the listed number is worthless) so you can contact her when you arrive. I learned the hard way!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:34 PM

We dropped our car off in Orvieto in 2005 at the Hertz office. No, it's not AT the station, but it was only about 120 yards away then. Unless they moved it, it was a very nice setup.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:59 PM

I mention the discrepancy because if you arrive at Orvieto and expect to find the Hertz location AT the station, you will be disappointed. As I recall from September 3, the Hertz location is more than 120 yards, and depending on your luggage situation, even 120 yards can be daunting, especially when you don't know in which direction (with your luggage in tow) you should be walking. Just call ahead to find out EXACTLY where the Hertz office is and the cell phone number of the nice young lady who works there.