Cost of food in Aberdeen!?

Sep 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Cost of food in Aberdeen!?

I'm going to Aberdeen this month to begin my postgraduate studies for one year and have no idea about cost of living there. I have booked an accommodation for the whole year but it is self catered so I have to eat on my own expense. So what is the approximate cost for meals per month? Also if I will buy grocery items for the breakfast, is these items expensive?
Thanks.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 04:04 PM

If you shop at major supermarket chains like Tesco and Asda, they have broadly national pricing so groceries will cost the same as elsewhere in UK. There are budget chains like Aldi and Lidl, which have become very popular. To get an idea of prices, go to online shopping site at http://www.tesco.com/groceries/#groceries_t_1 and http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...okiesDetecting

As for your overall food budget, this varies hugely depending on what you eat, special preferences, how much you eat and so on. If you are careful, it's possible to surive on as little as £5 a day, by getting simple breakfast (cereals, toast, tea/coffee), homemade sandwiches for lunch and simple meal in the evening (pasta, salad, fruit etc). What pushes up the cost is convenience food, such various chilled, ready-made foods (there is a huge choice), which costs from £2-£5, and espcially alcohol, which is quite heavily taxed in UK. £10 a day may be a more realistic budget, and add around £10 for simple pub meal or a few drinks with friends in a bar.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM

It does depend on what you eat and how much you eat. For breakfast toast or oatmeal (porridge) will be much less expensive than eggs and bacon or sausage. I think this is pretty much universal. You'll have to do comparison shopping in the supermarkets based on your taste and dietary needs.

In the US what I eat depends on what is on sale that week, especially when buying fruit and vegetables or canned goods. Drink tap water rather than bottled water or soft drinks.

If you're not used to grocery shopping get your mom or some older person to show you how to find the best deals in your local supermarket so you have some background knowledge before you leave home.
Sep 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM

The information from Alec should help you. You can shop in Lidl rather than Tesco or Sainsbury and they do discount groceries.

Where are you coming from?
Sep 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I'm coming from Egypt and will stay there for about 16 months.?
Sep 7th, 2011, 11:37 AM

I live here. If you need any help, give me a shout. But you'll find the university is wall to wall helpers when you get here.
Sep 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

well if i need anything i will contact you. thanks for help.