cost of food and petrol??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be renting a cottage for a week, and I'm wondering what kind of cost we're looking at for a week's food for 4 adults and one child. Nothing out of the ordinary, mainly just plain fare for breakfast and lunch, as dinners will be done dining out. Anyone care to venture a guess based on your own experience?

also, what are the current petrol prices? I'm trying to get an idea of our costs for renting a vehicle for the week. we want to stay someplace near Coventry so that we're equal distant from York and Portsmouth. Any help? Thank you.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Stolen from viamichelin. I assume this is for a typical breadbox on wheels, so with 5 of you your petrol costs could be higher.

Departure York
Destination Portsmouth
Date 05/07/2005
Time: 04h45 including 03h28 on motorways
Distance: 433 km including 347 km on motorways

Toll costs: 0 EUR
Petrol costs: 25.95 EUR
Total costs: 25.95 EUR

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:13 AM

Seadog - Current average petrol price in the U.K. is about 87p per litre.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, the information helps a great deal. Any one have an idea on food? If we figured 15 sterling a day would that cover it?
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM

This is always fun.
http://www.economist.com/markets/Bigmac/Index.cfm

A big mac averages $3.06 in the US and the equivalent of $3.44 in Britain as June 2005. The theory is that what costs $1 US costs the equivalent of $1.12 in Britain as the currency is overvalued by 12%. Take this with a grain or two of salt, it is only The Economist.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Is that supposed to be £15/day/per person or in total?

My basic rule is that, renting a house in another foreign country, you'll pay about 50% more for groceries than you would at home. A bit more in week 1 (setting up those stocks of sea salt and extra-virgin costs), a bit less the following weeks (when you're eating into the set-up stocks you bought).

But cottages are rarely next door to proper supermarkets, it takes you a while to shop the way locals do (Americans in Britain, for example, will persist in their bizarre determination to keep the advertising industry alive by buying overpriced manufacturers' brands, when Sainsbury's is far better) and you're often in a rush. So you'll never shop as cheaply abroad as at home.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:46 AM

I posted a reply to this about half an hour ago, but it seems to have got lost in the ether.

Anyway, if breakfast is cereal and toast, or eggs and bacon, lunch is based on soup-and-bread-and cheese or along the homemade sandwich line, then I would say you could comfortably feed 5 people on £15 per day. Add on the drinks/beverages, and flanneruk is right when he says that the first week you have to build up a stock of basics. Supermarkets to look out for are Sainsburys, Tesco, Somerfield, Asda, Morrisons/Safeway, Co-op, and Waitrose (the latter a little more expensive but the classiest of the lot!).

I don't know where Steve_James gets his petrol, but I am paying 93p litre in Gloucestershire - it is more expensive in the country than in the big towns, but less than on the motorway - it was 99p litre on the M5 last week.

Warwickshire is a lovely county - from your post it is not clear if you have actually rented a cottage or are still looking. You could try www.warwickshire.gov.uk or www.shakespeare-country.co.uk for ideas as to rental accommodation or just general info about the county.

Have a lovely holiday!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:38 PM

We usually stay in self-catering cottages and we've learned to take along some common kitchen supplies from home. It saves having to buy them there. Things like zip-loc bags, plastic wrap, small containers or ziploc bags of common cooking spices, paper napkins, handi-wipes, plastic wrap, tea/coffee, coffee filters, sugar/sweetener, etc... Take just enough to get you through and leave the leftovers behind - you can use the extra space in your suitcase for souviners.