Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cost of car rental w. CDW in Ireland and Great Britain

Aug 26th, 2000, 06:37 PM
Alice

I would really like to hear from those of you who have rented a car for a week or more in either Ireland or England/Scotland. I would like to know just what the REAL cost will be with insurance, taxes, etc. added. In other words, the bottom line.

Could you also tell me the size car you rented ie how many passengers you traveled with and the amount of luggage you had?
Also was it an automatic or standard shift and from who did you rent it and would you recommend renting from them?

I would appreciate so much hearing from you especially as this is a lengthy order. It would help me out so much in budgeting for this trip.

Many, many thanks, Alice

Aug 28th, 2000, 02:23 AM
love2trvl

Hi Alice:
Renting a car with CDW will run you about 300 pounds. If you have a platinum Mastercard or AMEX (not Visa) you will save about 150 pounds. Try to get one before you leave. There are other posts about this on thread with other good adivce. Have a Great Trip!!

Aug 28th, 2000, 03:48 AM
@@@@

Alice:
I rented a car from Budget in Shannon Airport in early August. It was a Hyundai Accent. We had two people with three fair sized suitcases, a overnight bag and two sets of golf clubs. All but one suitcase fit in the trunk. The front passenger seat had amazing legroom. Getting used to a standard shift and driving on the other side of the road was not too bad. A little practice before leaving the Airport hepled. I liked Budget, but remember that CDW insurance is only covered by a Platinum Mastercard or AMEX (not Visa or an AMEX Corporate Card) You will find prices are pretty consistent whichever company you choose. The bottom line was about 160 Irish pounds. I had gotten a new Platinum Mastercard from Citibank before I left. I was glad I did! Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time!

Aug 28th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Rachel

Get an automatic--I've been around way too many right-side-of-the-road drivers who say "it's easy!" to drive on the left side of the road. THEY might think it's easy and that they're good at it, but they're not.

Besides, it's less stressful for you, and you can enjoy your driving more.

I would recommend for 2 people a Volkswagon Golf. For up to 4 people, a Ford Mondeo (pretty much the same as the Contour here).

Aug 28th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I was curious, so I checked the AMEX web site and it said that the Platinum card (regular, not corporte) does not cover CDW in Ireland. Best to call and have your card company send you their policy in writing.

Aug 28th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Karen

We have drive many times in England, Wales and Scotland and always rent a larger car, about the size of our Ford Taurus. And automatic...get a platinum card and the extra insurance is taken care of and you will not need to purchase it. My suggestion is to rent from an agency that will take you away from the airport to their location so you don't have to deal with the airport traffic.