Cost for family of 4 to Ireland?

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Dan

Cost for family of 4 to Ireland?

Hello!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Ireland next year with our two children, ages 2 and 5. We are interested in the air/B&B/car deals. I have found deals between $600-800 per person. My question is, do any companies offer deals for families? Or should I expect to pay that price for each person, even our 2 year old? My point is, we will only be using one car, all sharing the same room, and my children certainly won't eat as much as the adults. Any advice who to contact or where to check? What's the best way to package this trip?

Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Bill

As you add people to the "deals" the value tends to go down. You are probably better off booking everything yourself. Many B&Bs have a reduced rates for children and yes, they won't be driving their own car.

Everyone has their favorite online air travel website, I suugest that you pick quite a few and check them very regularly once you are within about nine months of your trip. I found a great rate for May in October and it was only there for two days and it hasn'e even gotten close to that price since then.

Try Murrays Europcar http://www.europcar.ie/# or Kemmwell for car rental. Prices have gone up dramatically since I reserved in Decmber. The car I reserved for 163 pounds is now 323 euros. Yikes!

The Town & Country association has probably got the most complete listing of B&Bs in Ireland and they all have pictures.
http://www.townandcountry.ie/

In the end, research is your best bet. If I booked today, air and car would have probably cost me about $500 more than when I booked last fall.

Bill

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Curious

Bill,

How far ahead do you recommend booking airfare? auto? accomodations?

We, too, are a family (4 kids!), and are considering Ireland next spring. A year ago we traveled (our whole family) to Switzerland, Austria, and Germany, and booked everything in Feb for our April trip. Since it was the off season, it worked out fine. Would we save more if we book even farther ahead? Maybe this coming fall for a spring '03 trip? What about cottages in Ireland...would we need to book ahead, or by traveling in the off-season are they plentiful to just "wing it"? Would a family our size have any luck with B&B's, or would we need to do the cottage route? We'd prefer not to stay in hotels...we like the more independent, adventurous type of trip. Thanks.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:18 PM
LJ

Ireland is a great place to travel with a family.I would definitely book things separately. We got a Opel Vectra through AutoEurope and booked all our B&B's on our own. There are plenty of B&B's that have family sized rooms. Call the tourist office and get the Ireland Bed and Breakfast Book, and also the Irish Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast Book. We found that many of the farmhouse B&B's had family rooms (they are listed in the book)and for young children such as yours, they probably won't charge much. We also used a booklet called Friendly Homes of Ireland which was also helpful. I e-mailed or called the B&B's ahead of time.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Molly

I also agree about booking everything yourself separately. Most B&B's are inexpensive and so nice to stay in. Check www.aerlingus.com to see what the airfares are like.

Check out www.irelandcarrental.com. I just reserved an automatic Ford Mondeo for 11 days for $426 including VAT. When I checked with www.autoeurope.com, same dates, same car - it was $715 and I don't know if that includes VAT. That's a big difference.

Also, irelandcarrental.com is an agent for Dan Dooley (a big rental care company in Ireland) and after I received the quote, I checked with Dan Dooley and the price was much higher. I haven't used irelandcarrental.com yet. I have a car booked for May 16. I will let you know how they are when I return.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Molly

I forgot to mention that renting a car in Ireland is not cheap. But, if you can drive a stick shift, it'll be much cheaper. Gas is also expensive.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 03:16 PM
cd

Dan
After checking out individual air fares, you might want to check into Sceptre Tours and Brian Moore International Tours, they are both offering tours beginning at 499.00 pp. That includes air, B&B for 6 nights and car(small standand shift). I doubt if they would give a discount for the children. You would need a full size car. The small cars do not have enough room for 4 people plus luggage for 4 even if they are children and that will be a higher cost. Also recommend you rent an automatic as you will be driving on the opposite side of the road then you are used to and the roads are very narrow and curvy in places. This is the info we have gathered as four of us are going next month.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:10 PM
mollie

My family trip for next month cost $499 per adult and $399 for my 10 yaer old, so I would imagine that you could get a discount for your kids when you go. I booked this through Lynott Tours (www.lynotttours.com), but I had to be very fleible in dates to get the cheapest prices.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:17 AM
Ann

The only place you'll need to pre-book accommodations is in Dublin. It can be extremely difficult to get a room there, so the further ahead the better. Otherwise, I'd advise just getting a good B&B book and calling ahead just one or two days. That way you're more flexible.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:18 AM
Ann

BTW, if those quotes are for summer time, I think that's a good deal. $2,400-$3,200 for air, car, B&B for 4 people? My husband and I spend that much on the two of us. Of course, we probably drink a lot more than your kids do.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:31 AM
Bill

Once again, you just need to do your math, but if you can get family deals on a tour you might do well. I also agree with checking Sceptre tours for rates. You can find them at: http://www.oconnors.com/ They negotiate a deal with Aer Lingus that they stick with so it doesn't vary from day to day. It is a bit different in that your seats are assigned at check in so it pays to be first in line. Being late could separate the family. Also, they only fly from 4 US cites (NY, Boston, Chicago, LA). None-the-less, they have some great prices. I have heard that flights are cheap through Royal Jordanian also.

Booking very early won't help and most airlines won't post rates more than 11 months in advance. You just need to be persistant and check a couple times a week through more than one consolidator. The fare I got from Denver was $450 pp which is $300 less than I have seen since. It lasted for two days.

Hopefully, your kids won't put away as much Guinness as you do, but don't worry, it's cheap over there.

The big thing is that prices climb dramatically after March 31 and then again in June or July. Be prepared for that.

Bill

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:23 PM
Jane

We will be travelling to Ireland this summer with our son and have decided (again)to go the cottage route. We have travelled in France, England, Italy and Switzerland and have decided this is just the best way to go. Particularly with children. It's great to have your own kitchen in the morning.

The negative is that your travel is somewhat limited to one or two areas, but I think that is a good thing. I think people try to see too much which is definitely, absolutely the wrong thing with children. If you increase their comfort, you will be more comfortable too.

By the way, we have decided to stay one week in Kenmare (County Kerry - right between the Ring of Kerry and the Beara Peninsula) and one week in Connemara (I think during the pony show). Anyway, we figure on taking day trips all around Kerry, Galway and a bit of Cork. The cottage in Galway is going to cost us about $550 for the week and it has room for 9 people. The cottage in Kerry is around $500/week and can hold 6 people. I believe in off-season you can reserve a cottage for shorter periods than weekly.

Anywhere I've travelled, you just can't beat cottages for the price. And comfort.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:45 PM
Bill

Jane:

You'll have to let us know about the cottages. I'll be doing the cottage thing next year with my whole family (that is, adult sisters and husbands). I know we'll be spending one week in Donegal and then we will still have to decide from there. Kenmare may be the area.

Bill

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:57 AM
steve

I would check to see what you can do individually if there is no serious discount for children.

In March 2000 when I went, B&B's were $20-25 per person - that figures out to about $100 per day if you have to pay for the kids (in England I was able to sometimes take a 'family room' of one double and two twin beds a a reduced cost - didn't try in Ireland because I wasn't with my family)

Check the internet sites for car rentals - we got a good deal at Alamo - depends on any affinty deals you can get. Airfare is the easiest to really discount. I paid $400 Phoenix - Dublin.

I think booking about 3-4 months in advance is good enough for spring travel to get good deal. I suggest looking at bestfares.com Even if you don't book thru tehm, it a a good place to find out about fares.

Depending on what you want to do, I also agree with the cottage rental. We did that in Scotland and it was great. We had a excellent cottage on a nice farm for $500 for the week.

I used town and country for B&B's in Ireland and found the book to be very good

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:18 PM
margo

I bought our 3 tickets in Sept. for a June trip. We are stuck traveling in the summer due to school schedules. I had been checking online for fares for many months and we are paying 475 RT from S.F. to London and then home from Shannon. I am taking more time with booking car, B and B's etc. I used Lowestfare.com.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Ellie

Hello Jane,

Could you please give me some info on the best way to go about booking a cottage (website, etc.) My husband and I are considering Ireland next spring with our 3 year old and I definitely think cottages are the way to go. I've been looking around on the Internet but any info you could give would be great. Thanks again.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:13 PM
marylouise

Hi
I didn't read all the responses so forgive me if I'm repeating what others have already said!
My family of 4 (children were 9 & 13) went to Ireland June 2000 and stayed as follows:
A B&B in Salthill,Galway...Lovely family room for 55 Irish Pounds(total).

Self-catering cottage for 1 week on Dingle Peninsula....$200.American $$

A B&B in Cashel,CO Tipperary...2 adjacent rooms sharing a bath...18 Irish Pounds per each of us.

A B&B in Drumcondra...just outside of Dublin...a family "mews" ...a one-room cottage on the B&B property with 2 double beds plus a sinlge bed and a bath...80 Irish Pounds total.

Hope this gives you an idea.
I had tried to book aroom in Jury's Christchurch Inn
right in Dublin. It would have been nore convenient and I'd seen it mentioned favorably several times on this and other websites but it was full. I think I recall that the price for the family room was around
110Irish Pounds which I believe was quite reasonble for the city.

Food was quite reasonable...esp in pubs and of course a big breakfast was included at the B&B's. We didn't feel out of place with the children in the pubs. We did a few of our own meals at the cottage.

I think the car rental was $280..not sure..but the collision insurance is expensive and if it's not reqired...you really would want to have it. The roads are narrow in the country and you'll be on the left!! How's your driving??!!
Have a great trip!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:19 PM
steve

re: the Collision Damage Waiver. Many credit cards do not provide a insurance in Ireland. When I went, my friend's Mastercard did, but Visa would not. Significant savings!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Ryan

Dan, I agree with Jane; Cottages are the way to go. We leave mid April and traveling with children we always book homes for their convenience, also to allow them to be children without being cramped. We got 3 homes for a total of 14 nights. 4 nights south of Arklow, 5 nights Ballinrobe, and 5 nights in Killarney. Total costing us $700 US. That's $50 a night for comfort and come and go as we please with no shared walls, for 4 people (2 adults and 2 children). Car rentals, I guess that's all on comfort as well, but we got a good deal on Auto Europe for a Passat, 4 door. We decided we wanted a car we knew, and the Mondeo is like a Contur in the US.