Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cost effective GPS in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cost-effective-gps-in-europe-914166/)

jeairas Dec 6th, 2011 08:06 AM

Cost effective GPS in Europe?

I'm planning a 8 week motorcycle trip through Europe for next year. I was on the phone earlier today with Verizon to see if it would be possible to use my US smartphone with GPS during my travels but it turns out it would use so much data that it would cost a fortune... Does anybody have any suggestions for a GPS that I can buy and use in Europe during the 8 week trip? Also, do the GPS include the data plan? Or do you get charged additionally for that? What price range am I realistically looking at?

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mimar Dec 6th, 2011 08:17 AM

Just buy a regular GPS - like a Garmin or a Tomtom or a Magellan. They range from about $100 to $300. No data plan required, no monthly charge. You will probably have to buy a map of Europe, about $100. You can also get traffic warnings; don't know what that would cost.

We like a GPS that we can take for walks in cities as well driving. So something relatively small with a longer battery life.

There are GPSs that are supposed to be best for motorcycles. You might google for more information on this.

hetismij2 Dec 6th, 2011 08:50 AM

Make sure you can buy a holder for whatever GPS unit you buy so you can fix it to the bike easily - and more importantly remove it easily for when you park the bike.

tomfuller Dec 6th, 2011 08:53 AM

Get yourself a portable GPS with an SD card slot. Learn how to use it in your home country before heading to Europe.
Buy the SD card for Europe and a handlebar mount.
In the narrow streets in some cities, the GPS will not work very well because of signal bounce off buildings and satellites blocked by buildings. Always carry a paper map in case you can't find someone that can tell you how to get to where you want to go. http://books.google.com/books?id=lTC...%20gps&f=false
Read through Rick Steves 2011 guidebook for a lot of great tips.

Robert2533 Dec 6th, 2011 09:38 AM

I use my iPhone if I need to check my location and route to my next destination, but you do not need to run the GPS tracking on the iPhone to operate the mapping system, at least not on the iPhone from AT&T. AT&T also offers several reasonably priced data plans.

The last time we only ended up using 13GB out of the 50GB plan in 17 days of traveling in Portugal. That included emails daily and mapping as needed.

If you have a good Michelin map, a GPS isn't really needed. If you do use a GPS, make sure you're receiving the latest updates (road conditions, etc,) otherwise you could lead astray.

jeairas Dec 6th, 2011 09:44 AM

Thanks so much for the replies!

I have an Android phone here and concluded (after my talk with Verizon) that using it over there won't be a good option...

I'm looking online now and there are lots and lots of options...

Thanks again for the replies!

greg Dec 6th, 2011 05:08 PM

You can use Google map on Android WITHOUT data plan -- with limitations. The trick is to download maps using WiFi.

You can cache up to ten 10x10mile boxes onto your Android phone. From then on, you can turn off the data access, turn on GPS and use the downloaded map WITHOUT data roaming. I think the maps are good for about 30days.

- To enable this feature, you need the Android Google map ap released after August 2011.
- Menu/setting/Labs/ then tap on "Pre-cache map area". You will see a green check map on that option.
- To download map, display the section you want. Long-push (keep your finger on the map for several seconds) until you see "Loading Address >". Tap on ">". At the bottom you see "Pre-cache map area." tap on that box and a 10x10mile box centered at where you pushed will be downloaded.

-To remove unneeded pieces, /menu/setting/cache setting/Pre-cached map areas/ hit the "x" marks of the maps you want to delete.

I download maps using Wifi as I travel along and delete no longer needed boxes to stay within the ten 10x10mile sections.

flpab Dec 6th, 2011 05:26 PM

I do long distance MC riding in the USA, and also go to Europe on occasion. Do you have a GPS on your bike? If so, then just get the Europe maps are ~$100 extra.

If not, then think about getting a setup that will double for your domestic and Europe trips. Many options but basically they tend to go 2 ways:

> MC specific as in waterproof; the most popular are Garmin 550, 650, 665 - all of which are ~$500 and up plus adding a Europe map. Many favor the older units like 2610's and marine 478, but they are getting hard to find and considered obsolete by garmin - which means no map updates.

> Regular GPS in that retails up to $300ish, then figure out a mount and maybe a waterproof box. This is a good option but requires more "ingenuity" in mounting.

Do you want it to speak to you in your helmet? You'll need to bring your own setup. Helmet of course with either mounted helmet speakers or more portable ear buds. With it speaking to you, many gps units also have bluetooth and MP3 capability. Of course with bluetooth you also need a mic.

It really comes down to how "techy" you are. Another Q is - is this your bike you'll be riding there? Or are you renting the entire time? I'd think if it's 8 weeks it would be your bike as rentals are expensive there. If that's true, then you can get yours setup over the winter before you go.

Good luck!

aimeekm Dec 7th, 2011 05:53 AM

You can buy a Garmin w European maps already loaded. Very inexpensive IMO.

I have this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inc...9&sr=8-3-spell

jeairas Dec 12th, 2011 08:21 AM

Thanks!

It's my bike, I looked into renting one but it would be too expensive. My uncle lives in Sweden and I sent him money, he bought me a yamaha xj 900.

With regards to the gps, I just ordered a TomTom GO 2535TM WTE with preloaded Europe maps. I found an inexpensive MC mount for it on ebay.

ParisAmsterdam Dec 12th, 2011 09:32 AM

Can you return the TomTom you bought? It doesn't have bluetooth.

I use the audio directions more often than looking at the screen... on a bike it will be impossible to hear without bluetooth and a headset. Much safer than taking your eyes of the road... especially in daylight when screens can be hard to see.

Mimar Dec 12th, 2011 11:10 AM

Yes, you really need to be able to hear the spoken directions.

tomfuller Dec 12th, 2011 03:10 PM

Make sure that you and the bike are properly insured while you are in Europe. Are you going to try to ship the bike back to the US? Make sure the bike meets NHTSA rules so that it can be licensed in the US.
Buy a couple of Rick Steves guidebooks which have a lot more information than a paper map or a GPS.

jeairas Dec 12th, 2011 04:20 PM

Even if the TomTom doesn't have bluetooth I assume I can plug in my regular headset/headphones though correct?

The bike is actually under my uncles name in Sweden, he added me as an additionally insured. When I'm done with the trip he'll put the bike up for sale.

ParisAmsterdam Dec 13th, 2011 05:14 AM

"Even if the TomTom doesn't have bluetooth I assume I can plug in my regular headset/headphones though correct?"

Presumably... does it have an audio-out jack?