Reload this Page >

Cost del Sol or Arizona in Feb

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:51 AM
clayton

Can't decide on whether to go to AZ or the Cost del Sol in Jan-Feb. Is the weather comparable? Comparable price wise? Lots to do? We have experience in European travel so we know it would be more of an adventure than visiting Mesa or Tucson. We are couple in the Golden years so discos that are open until 3:00 A.M or later are of no interest to us. Maybe there are bettr choices than the Cost del Sol. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:58 AM
SWester

Which part of Arizona? Are you aware that parts of Arizona can get snow in the winter? The desert can get quite cold. Or are you talking about further south?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:59 AM
SWester

Sorry saw you mentioned Mesa or Tucson, and I can tell y

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Red

Clayton, I live in Phoenix and while I find it quite beautiful in winter, I'd much rather go somewhere else. To really enjoy Arizona you have to drive everywhere - Sedona, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Tucson, etc. It's a big state. Or if you are a big golfer then there is nothing more to say.<BR><BR>There is absolutely nothing going on in Mesa. Tucson is beautiful but it is the most laid-back place I have ever seen. Can't stand it myself.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Wayne

I don't see any way to compare Arizona and Costa del Sol, even with regard to climate. Given the choice and the flexibility to plan my destination, I'd certainly not go to Arizona. Even Florida, like Key West, would be better, and it isn't really great in Jan-Feb. If you are going somewhere in Jan-Feb and you want warm weather, better consider Mexico, South America, or go all the way to Sicily.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Paula

Costa del Sol in a heartbeat! I've been to both and believe me, Spain has SO MUCH to offer in culture whereas Arizona...well...what can I say? Get some guidebooks and do some research on Spain and I think you'll see what I mean.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:09 PM
elvira

Mesa has lots of winter visitors in their golden years, so there are craft fairs, bridge clubs, jeep trips into the desert, dance band concerts. Other than that, big zero.<BR><BR>Phoenix has a symphony, ballet companies, theater, and big name entertainers (we're a stopover between LA and points east, and Las Vegas, so we get everybody from the Rolling Stones to Steve and Eydie); we have the Heard Museum, the premier Native American museum in the U.S. (okay maybe not but it's darn close), the Phoenix Art Museum, the Science Museum (which had a huuuge Titanic exhibit this year), and several restaurants with top chefs. Scottsdale has dozens upon dozens of art galleries. There's golfing everywhere. This is high tourist season for us, so no bargains at the resorts ($180+ a night for the upscale places like the Phoenician or the Princesse) but Mesa is less upscale. You can find short-term rentals at many apartment complexes, which would be less expensive. Food costs are about average (California is just &lt;- over there); gas ain't cheap, but, then, where is it? Temperatures are in the 50-60 range, can get down into the 30's at night (rarely, but it happens). We don't get snow. We have teeny mountains that you can hike; FINALLY have bikepaths and routes. And we have the Cardinals and the Suns. Lots of Baptists and Mormons live here, so we've got churches (including the largest Baptist church in the world) everywhere. Cheap and quick flights to Las Vegas and LA. We have no ocean, but lots of man-made lakes and swimming pools. A large percentage of our population is Latino, so we've got Mexican and Ecuadorean restaurants. We also have people from Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and, yes, France, so it's not difficult to get a culinary experience. I've lived here for 17 years because I never have to throw rock salt on my steps nor unfreeze the carlocks with a cigarette lighter. I've never cancelled a dinner reservation because of snow, nor had my power go out because of ice bringing down the lines.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:00 PM
nerjafan

I vote for Nerja,Spain; I'm sure you will love it. Do a Google search for sites with pictures. You could spend $180 a night in Arizona or $180 a week in Nerja for a two bedroom apartment.<BR>Email Bernadette at [email protected] and see what she has available. Mendez & Bernadette is a well run agency with lots of properties. <BR>Whatever you decide, enjoy!