Reload this Page >

Uffizi and Accademia Hours in Jan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 06:33 PM
Peter Rosenthal

Does anyone know what hours the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia are open in January? Also, am I likely to encounter lines to get in to these places in January? <BR> <BR>Any information would be appreciated.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 07:30 PM
howard

We were in Florence in November, when I believe they opened around 8:30-8:45. As far as lines, you probably won't encounter any except first thing in morning when people line up at the Uffizi before the museums open. And, even then, the lines were not that long. During the day, we never saw any lines at either place. The Academia, in fact, was delightfully quiet, affording us a wonderful opportunity to admire the David for many, many uninterrupted and undisturbed minutes, without fighting the crowds or loud noises. And, at the Uffizi, it was wonderful to not to have to compete with hordes to admire the Botticellis!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Beth

the Weekend A Firenze website (www.weekendafirenze.com) shows the Uffizi hours as: <BR>Tuesday * Friday: 8,40 - 21.00 <BR> Saturday: 8,40 - 24,00 <BR> Sunday: 8,40 - 20,00 <BR> Monday: closed <BR> <BR>They make no mention of being seasonal, although I didn't think the hours would be so late in the wintertime. If you are worried about lines you can book reservations through this website. When we were in Florence in September, and everything was very crowded, we found no line at the Accademia late in the day, we arrived around 5.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:08 AM
howard

If you are going in January, I would definitely NOT spend the extra money to make advanced reservations at either museum. You won't need them.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:18 AM
Beth

Howard's right, of course. I've never been in January, so I have no idea if there are ever lines. I imagine there aren't. But I've had friends go to Florence (albeit, in May, not January), and then miss going to the Uffizi because they had limited time, and didn't want to spend an hour waiting outside. So the question is, how flexible can you be, and is spending a few bucks worth it for peace of mind?