Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cosmetic Surgery recomendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cosmetic-surgery-recomendations-864240/)

Radine_Coopersmith Oct 25th, 2010 06:39 AM

Cosmetic Surgery recomendations

I want to have cosmetic surgery and there seem to be so many options. one company, Revitalize Health is in Ismir Turkey. does anyone know of this company? or can you relate YOUR story re this subject?

otherchelebi Oct 25th, 2010 07:06 AM

There are a number of popular cosmetic surgeons we hear about in Istanbul, but we do not hear about Izmir surgeons or clinics.

as far as i know, the prices in Turkey are about half the USA prices. However, i do not know how a person would handle post operative care and visits, if those are required over an extended period.

nytraveler Oct 25th, 2010 06:06 PM

A friend of mine had a facelift done in a large town in Connecticut - by a surgeon she felt was a bargain. It was awful seeing her afterwards, the surgery was obvious, show looked older, not younger, and it tool forever to heal.

It seems to me that there are certain things that you do not look for discounts on - and medical care - esp something as easy to go wrong as cosmetic surgery (which is an art, not a science) - is not one of them. (I wouldn't even have my hair colored in a strange place.)

oldmacdonald Oct 25th, 2010 06:46 PM

Why surgery? Aren't you perfect the way you are?

Peter_S_Aus Oct 25th, 2010 09:22 PM

The phrase "caveat emptor" springs to mind ...

CYESQ Oct 25th, 2010 09:33 PM

I understand that Dr. Ivo Pitanguy's clinics in Rio Brazil are considered some of the finest in the world. I do not know how the prices compare with the US but I suspect they may be lower. Anyway, please stick with a doctor or medical group with a well known and good reputation, i.e. international accrediation.

There are clinics in India and Thailand who specialize in plastic surgery and offer complete two-three week packages that provide medical care for recovery periods. I have heard that these are good but don't have a personal recommendation from anyone.

Odin Oct 25th, 2010 11:37 PM

I know people who have been to Poland & Czech Republic for procedures. Cyprus (not the part occupied by Turkey, obviously) is also known for cosmetic surgery but I cannot imagine anything worse, especially during the summer heat. Most people I know in Cyprus travel to the UK or Germany for more complicated medical treatment, so that speaks volumes.

Mo Nov 8th, 2010 10:41 AM

Do you have to have the work done in Turkey? Have you looked at Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok. Search the Fodor site and read what others have said about their experiences there. Research your options and choose carefully.

cherrybomb Nov 12th, 2010 11:03 AM

Ditto what nytraveler said - though it was lipo not a facelift and she is spending twice as much to have it corrected in the city, so much for saving a few bucks.

With cosmetic surgery it just isn't worth saving a few dollars when a botched procedure can end up costing far more than just money - they could eff up your face or worse, the facility and aftercare may not be what you would get by paying the going rate by a good surgeon in your city, and you really have no way of doing a thorough consultation unless you want to travel back and forth.

Do what you will though.

ekscrunchy Nov 12th, 2010 11:35 AM

I know a woman of very limited means who traveled back to her native Colombia to have a face and brow lift.

Suffice to say that she returned with a scar running horizontally through the center of her forehead.

nz101 Nov 12th, 2010 09:11 PM

I would definitely check out Thailand - I live in New Zealand and I know of people who go there for laser eye surgery, liposuction, crowns, etc. I've heard the service is 5 star and about half the cost of what we would pay here for the same procedures.

mohan Nov 13th, 2010 08:59 AM

I was told while I was in Costa Rica that Cher had her whole body makeover done there. The person who told me is a young woman who also had some work done herself. Looks natural that much I can say.
Bangkok is a popular place for medical tourism. I would look for hospitals accredited by JCAHO.

southeastern Nov 13th, 2010 09:31 AM

Cher looks terrible! I agree, spend the money in the states. It's not the time to be cheap!

ekscrunchy Nov 13th, 2010 10:53 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ons-accomm.cfm

hippiechow Oct 11th, 2015 10:12 PM

I'm also looking for a top plastic surgeon but in Thailand. Does anyone have any recommendations?

janisj Oct 11th, 2015 10:23 PM

hippiechow: you are topping VERY old threads.

pariswat Oct 12th, 2015 04:14 AM

Yes, but this thread was fun to read.

I wonder what recommendations from total strangers from half the world away would interest me if I were to choose to undergo surgery.

Strange world... I would recommend Hippie to go and ask a doctor from her neighbourhood - if the guy is half honest he may have a recommendation. And that recommendation, coming from a doctor would be a little bit more interesting.

But perso, I would never do it.

bilboburgler Oct 12th, 2015 04:50 AM

would you trust someone who had a lie on their face? (old Roman joke)