Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cosidering a first time Viking River Cruise for next July 2008

Sep 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Would really appreciate any feedback on Viking River trips- I was considering this for my 60th birthday-looking for a new experience where we just have to sit back and enjoy for a change
Sep 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Try posting this in the Cruises forum--more likely to get people who have traveled with Viking.

I've done only a Grand Circle Travel cruise. My husband and I usually do solo travel with a car, but this time I went with a friend and absolutely loved the cruise.
Sep 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM

My in-laws, husband and 2 children went on a KD River cruise several years ago and all enjoyed it. We don't do group travel that often but thought it would be a convenient way to travel with 6 people age 6 to 60 and it was!

We did a Rhine River trip and it was especially fun because we went during the Rhine in Flames festival-- very memorable.

Most of the folks on the ship were older, the only children were our two and a group of about 6-7 with a large family reunion trip. We- with the reunion folks - were the only Americans.

The accomodations were tight, but comfortable, food good, tour guides pleasant. Overall very relaxing, stress free way to travel.

Sep 18th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Keep in mind that cruising is for a special kind of person. You don't get much time at many of the stops to actually see or do very much.
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

thnaks for your comments, a very special kind of person ? Can you say more and have you done this type of trip?
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM

A river cruise is totally different from an ocean cruise on a big liner.

We have cruised on ocean liners - and find them like a buffet! When we find a place we particularly like, we return for an extended vacation. This happened to us in Italy. We fell in love with Italy at our first stop and returned 3 times in the next 2 years for a total of 5 weeks.

A river cruise (which we are considering for my husband's 70th) is port intensive, stopping in interesting cities almost daily, with included tours and also free time.

Which one are you considering? Also think about adding your own independent travel time at the beginning or the end.

If I can find one that starts in Istanbul, it would be hard to resist!
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:38 AM

jaxman--Nothing sinister in my remark. Some people's interests and personalities fit a cruising experience; others' don't.

We'd go nuts on a cruise--not being able to stay as long as we want in a place we like. Other people just want an overview of major sights and enjoy being waited on and not having to get from one place to another on their own, change lodgings every few nights, etc.