Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Corte Grimani (Venice): A little upset and I'm not even there yet. Hope this isn't a sign...

Corte Grimani (Venice): A little upset and I'm not even there yet. Hope this isn't a sign...

Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

So I'm leaving next week for the great 2008 Italy trip with my sister. Fly into Milan, stay overnight at Hotel Spadari. Three nights at La Limonera in Bellagio and then three nights in Venice at Corte Grimani.

With the exception of Hotel Spadari, we each have our own sleeping area. (Bedroom plus sofa bed at both LL and CG) Apparently my sister doesn't want to listen to me snore for a week, go figure.

I just confirmed our reservations, and CG wrote back saying that we are confirmed, but the use of the sofa bed will be an extra 30 Euro per night.

Nothing was said about this when I made the reservations, and I did mention I would be using the sofa bed. On the terms and conditions they sent me back in October, there is a 50E deposit for use of the kitchen, and the washer is 10E, but nothing about the sofa bed.

I realise that in the grand scheme of things, 90E probably isn't a big deal, and I should let it go, but then again, that could also be dinner out one night.

Okay, thanks for letting me rant. I truly am looking forward to this trip, and Corte Grimani looks like a wonderful place to stay. I guess this is just one of those last minute things that gets to you.

Johanna
Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:48 AM

yes, isn't it very convenient that now that it is truly 'the last minute' the place has added the bit about the sofa bed.

yes, I'd let it go too, but......
Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:04 AM

I might try sending a polite email stating that you are sorry for the misunderstanding, but you haven't budgeted the additional 30, and could they possibly consider 15?

I did something like this with the apt we are renting in Venice, and it worked.

(I realize you think, and with justification, that the charge should be 0, but at least this might make you feel better).
Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Mambo_

Is it too late to change your reservation? Maybe shop around for a better deal?

The Hotel Riva's room 1 has a great location, above two small canals, and it has one double bed and one twin bed in a little alcove. Very tiny bathroom, no lift or A/C, but a charming little one-star hotel.
>-

Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM

I don't think it's that unusual. I know the apartment I've rented in Paris also charges extra if the sofa bed is used. They are renting it for 2 people and if all the available beds are used they assume, maybe wrongly that extra people used the apt.

Of course this was made clear in our rental agreement
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:27 AM

it seems to be this room should be a certain price for two people using it.. period.

i would contest it politely, as perhaps they assume there is someone using the sofa PLUS two people in the beds??
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

If we were having an extra person stay with us, I could understand, but it is still just my sister and me. We are still just using two beds, what difference does it make if it is the two twins in the bedroom, or one twin bed and the sofa bed? We're not using extra linens, and this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Anyway, I did send a polite email asking her to clarify.

I'll keep you posted.

Johanna
Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM

Topping, I'd like to see how this turns out.

VC
Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

I'm assuming the bedroom does actually have two beds in it rather than one double one?
Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the bedroom has two twin beds. I was going to take the sofa bed in the living room to give us some space.

Johanna
Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM

I'm with Mambo. If you can still get your deposit back, I'd look around. If you find a couple of hotels with availability, there are plenty of people here who can help you decide which is better. Good luck!
Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Mambo_

P.S. I think 30 Euro per night for a sofa bed is ridiculously high.

And I'd be a bit wary of a place that tries to pull this added cost at the last minute, since it wasn't your understanding of their price in the first place.

I would either not use the sofa bed, or get another hotel (preferably another hotel, unless that's out of the question).

Is Venice especially filled up next week? Another little hotel I've personally experienced is the Casa Rezonnico (sp?). It's further from San Marco, in Dorsuduro.

I haven't heard much about the Corte Grimani. Did fodorites recommend it?
>-

Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM

You are leaving next week - right? IMO finding another place would hardly seem practical.

My hunch is they don't usually make up the sofa sleeper. The beds are always made up and while you won't be sleeping in one bed, they will still have to launder the bedding. Someone will likely sometime during the 3 days -- sit on the bed, use one of the pillows, etc. So the bed will be used in a manner of speaking.

I agree that €30 a night is a bit much - often it cost €30 or €50 a week to have a sofa bed made up.

I might contact the hotel and see if they will reduce the charge a bit. But if the place is what and where I want, it wouldn't be deal breaker for me.
Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Janis, I see your point about having to launder the extra twin bed even if we didn't use it. I do think 30E/night is really high. 30E for the three nights I could see, but per night? Wow.

Cancelling isn't an option, we'd pay more to cancel than the fee for the sofa bed. So I guess at this point, it's just a matter of principle. Besides, I don't think I would cancel anyway, Corte Grimani has gotten many very good reviews here as well as TripAdvisor.

I guess this will have to be filed under "Live and Learn."

I'll post a trip report when I get back and let you know how my stay was.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Johanna

Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Mambo_

Maybe just sleep in the twin bed, and don't use the sofa sleeper? 30 Euro= almost $60/day. That's good dinner money!
>-

Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Mambo_

My math is bad. I guess 30 Euro would equal about $45, at today's rate of 1.50. Still enough money for dinner!
>-

Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM

Why don't you pack some sheets and make up the sofa bed yourself. If you have old sheets you can throw them out at the end of your stay. Or buy a very cheap set that you can throw away - cheaper then 30 euro a day. How would they know if you are using the sofa bed or not. You can use the pillow and blanket from the second bed that's not being used.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM

Venice is notorious for cheating tourists. The APT (Tourism Board of Venice), has a Complaints Office that you can contact by calling 041-5298722/3 (Monday to Friday) or sending an email to: [email protected]

You might not wish to complain about Corte Grimani by name straight away, but you could ask in general terms if this surcharge is allowable.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM

I would strip the sheets off the twin and put them onto the sofa bed (as a sofa, not pulled out) and use it that way....
Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM

If it is just the snoring that is an issue - get your sister some good foam earplugs. She could sleep through an explosion w/ those . . . .

If you don't have to use the sofa sleeper, not only would it save you money, it would save you having to make up/close the sofa every morning to have a place to sit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO