Corsica - Where to stay?

Aug 4th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Corsica - Where to stay?

We would like to take the car ferry from Nice to Corsica enroute to Italy. We would like to stay on Corsica for 4 days. We would like a nice hotel or inn on a beach or with a nice view of the water, that would be within a reasonable driving distance of the ferry stop. Preferrably the hotel would be close to a nice village or town to walk around. I would really appreciate any recommendations. We will not be trying to "do it all" in the four days, but more looking for a nice place to stay which is in a good location to do provide a little bit of the flavor of Corsica.

Thanks!
Aug 4th, 2003, 06:52 PM

My choice would probably be in Calvi, a nice, pleasant town with a nice waterfront, tons of restaurants and decent shopping, and although of course touristy has a real feel of what Corsica is all about. There are ferries which come right into Corsica. We stayed at the Grand Hotel in the center of town, but if I had it to over I'd stay in the hotel overlooking the water right by the castle. I'm trying to remember the name of it, and will try to search it out if no one else can come up with it.
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:30 PM

My fiance and I just returned from a 4 day trip in Corsica. We wanted to do the same thing-- just get a taste of the island. We loved the hotel we stayed in, it was called the hotel La Corniche and was about a twenty minute drive from the ferry stop in Bastia. You can check out the url: www.hotel-lacorniche.com It's at the top of a mountain and has beautiful views and great food plus a nice pool. Was about 70 euros a person per night including breakfast and 3 course dinner. Was close to the cap corse region- dramatic cliffs over the sea- very scenic. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the help. Patrick, I have not had any luck finding the other hotel you were talking about. Did you by chance remember the name?
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:41 AM

I suggest that you use the "Gites de France" web site. Pick a site destination i.e. I'lle-Rouse, St Florent or Bastia and you'll find accommodation options.

The loop drive along the shoreline of Cap Corse should be something for you to enjoy doing.
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Good luck! I just played around with a Corsica search hoping something would jog my memory and I found the hotel I was talking about. It is Hotel Saint Christophe in Calvi. They have a website: www.hotel-saint-christophe.com

As I recall the only reason we didn't stay there was that they would only do half-pension in August when we were there, but their website doesn't seem to show that now.

This hotel has a great location and unbelievable views. It is maybe a 5 minute walk down to the busy port area, and it sits right next to the castle.

By the way, I think the prettiest area of the island was the west coast south of Calvi to Ajaccio. The area around the "calanques of Piana" and the town of Porto is simply breathtaking, but the driver can't take his eyes off the road for a second.