Search

Corsica, Sardinia, Roma, oh my!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corsica, Sardinia, Roma, oh my!

Hi all!
DH and I are planning our yearly 3-week vacation for next September.
This year, it will be Corsica, Sardinia and Rome. Yay!
We are in our 30s, and basically travel to eat and drink local food and wine, with a mix of trecking/walking to see the surroundings and burn off all that wine... and a bit of swimming in those crystal clear waters!

We are planning 7 nights in Corsica, arriving in Ajaccio by plane. Where else should be stay on the island? We like to stay at least 2 nights in one place, so that leaves 3 places to pick. Suggestions? We will be renting a car.

Then off to Sardinia for 7 nights also. I guess it would be a good idea to stick to the North since we will be heading to Rome by boat. Can we keep rent a car and return it in Sardinia? Suggestions on 2 or 3 spots to stay and explore from?

Then we are off for a week in Rome. How long is the boat ride? I guess it must be pretty simple to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome?

Thanks to all for the input!
And if you have not-to-miss food and drink, please, do tell!
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM

"Then off to Sardinia for 7 nights also. I guess it would be a good idea to stick to the North since we will be heading to Rome by boat." The boats to Rome go from Olbia/Golfo Aranci in the north and also Arbatax half way down the east coast. I commuted for a year to Rome from Sardinia using the twice-weekly Tirrenia ferry from Arbatax

"Can we keep rent a car and return it in Sardinia?" Yes

"Suggestions on 2 or 3 spots to stay and explore from?" I would suggest one inland place, say Oliena, and two by the coast, say Santa Maria Navarrese (we live 3 km from there) and Alghero to see a city.

"Then we are off for a week in Rome. How long is the boat ride?" 10 1/2 hours from Arbatax, 7 from Olbia (faster boats)

"I guess it must be pretty simple to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome?" Shuttle bus meets ferry & takes you to train station where you get a train to Roma Ostiense, from there Metrò. Couldn't be easier.

Look at the island's web site http://www.sardegnaturismo.it/en/index.html

cheers Peter
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Peter!

Artabax is will be I think!

I guess for 10,5 hour boat rides, there is the option of night boats with cabins?
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM

There are ferries to Civitavecchia from Porto Torres (www.grimaldi-lines.com), Golfo Aranci (www.corsicaferries.com), Olbia (www.tirrenia.it, www.moby.it and www.snav.it), Arbatax (www.tirrenia.it) and Cagliari (www.tirrenia.it).
The ships all have cabins for overnight crossings.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 03:38 PM

Consider Calvi and Porto Vecchio in Corsica. Visit Bonifaccio from the latter. If your budget stretches to it, splurge on Hotel Casadelmar.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion! We were looking for a place to splurge in Corsica! Merci!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Jojonana

We have booked for our 6th trip to Sardinia this July. we usually stay in Santa Teresa which has a relaxed middle market feel. The whole area comprises of some of the best seascapes in Europe and is still relatively undiscovered.

The Maddalena Islands are a short ferry ride from Palau and are islands are stuning. From a base in this area it is no more than an hour down to the Costa Smerelda which does have the best coastline on the island but is very specifically developed for the highest end of tourism in the European market. Expect to pay 10 euros for a coffee.

September is very definitely the best time to visit. The air and sea temperatures are still good and the Italians summer tourists have generally returned home.

It would make sense to take the ferry over to Palau spend time in this area and then take the faster Olbia ferry over to the mainland.