Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Switzerland

Search

Coronavirus in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2020, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New coronavirus infections in Switzerland today: 26 pax resp 3 pax per milllion inhabitants.
New cases in Lombardy, Italian area along the Swiss border: 15 pax per million inhabitants
New cases in France: 14 pax per million inhabitants
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New cases in Switzerland today: 50

It's going up.
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 09:05 AM

Not sure how reliable but they say mask use is relatively low in Switzerland?

Just recommendations to use on public transport but no requirements and most people are not following the recommendation?
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 10:57 AM

New coronavirus infections in Switzerland today: 58 pax resp 7 pax per milllion inhabitants (42 residents and 16 people entering Switzerland from Serbia).
New cases in Lombardy, Italian area along the Swiss border: 144 pax resp14 pax per million inhabitants
New cases in France: 794 pax resp 13 pax per million inhabitants
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 12:19 AM

The "R0" factor has gone up quite a bit recently. Was, for several weeks, under 1. Is now, as of this morning according to the Tages Anzeiger, 1.21. That is NOT good news. Most of the cases seem to have been traced to either foreign workers or foreign visitors. I felt safer when our borders were closed.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scrb11
Not sure how reliable but they say mask use is relatively low in Switzerland?

Just recommendations to use on public transport but no requirements and most people are not following the recommendation?
I took the train last night to Lucerne. There were maybe 2% among the crowd of people wearing masks. I chose to wear one to see what it was like. People look at you a bit longer in passing but I didn't feel uncomfortable.

The COVID19 Swiss app is very popular and many people have downloaded it.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 11:08 AM

New coronavirus infections in Switzerland today: 70 pax resp 8 pax per milllion inhabitants
New cases in Lombardy, Italian area along the Swiss border: 77 pax resp 8 pax per million inhabitants
New cases in Austria: 58 pax resp 7 pax per million inhabitants
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by kleeblatt
I took the train last night to Lucerne. There were maybe 2% among the crowd of people wearing masks. I chose to wear one to see what it was like. People look at you a bit longer in passing but I didn't feel uncomfortable.

The SWISS COVID app is very popular and many people have downloaded it.
I have the COVID 19 app on my phone. It uses a LOT of battery. Which is OK as long as you remember to charge the phone more often. The app is very user-friendly.

As far as masks are concerned - when the crisis started the Confederation didn't have a large stock of masks. So we were told not to wear them unless in a very crowded situation. This advice continues even though there are now plenty of masks. In today's Tages Anzeiger there is an article suggesting that more widespread use of masks would help curb the infection rate. I suspect we are coming to a point where we will be required to use them on public transport and in shops, night clubs etc. However it doesn't seem that wearing a mask is a guarantee of not getting the virus - nor that if you do not wear one you necessarily WILL get it.
The recent surge in cases here seems to be linked to foreigners coming into the country now that the borders are open AND to Swiss residents in the ZH area who went to Serbia for a football match and brought the virus back. I think more border controls / temperature taking etc will be coming back as a result.

Last edited by Hambagahle; Jun 27th, 2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 08:29 AM

New coronavirus infections in Switzerland today: 62 pax resp 7 pax per milllion inhabitants
New cases in Lombardy, Italian area along the Swiss border: 97 pax resp 10 pax per million inhabitants
New cases in Gewrmany: 256 pax resp 3 pax per million inhabitants
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

As of Monday, anyone using public transportation in Switzerland MUST wear a mask.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 11:12 PM

That is - anyone over 12. Children under 12 do not need to wear masks. And this rule applies not only to "normal" public transport but to mountain transport as well with the exception of chairlifts.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

As of Monday, July 6:

Art. 2 Quarantine for persons entering Switzerland
Persons entering Switzerland, who have at any time
within 14 days prior to entering Switzerland, been in a state or territory with high
risk of infection with the Sars-CoV-2 coronavirus (state or area with
increased risk of infection) are obliged, immediately upon arrival [in Switzerland] to travel on the most direct route to their home or another suitable accommodation. Such persons must, for 10 days after entry [into Switzeralnd], remain at that accommodation at all times (quarantine).

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...-reisende.html
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 01:20 PM

What are they going to do about eating, unless the "suitable accommodation" offers several meals a day?
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by scrb11
What are they going to do about eating, unless the "suitable accommodation" offers several meals a day?
Should have thought about that before traveling, I suppose.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by menachem
Should have thought about that before traveling, I suppose.
Chamring.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess when you select "suitable accommodation," you need to choose a place that offers full board and/or room service.

This is no different from people travelling to Hawaii.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 11:13 PM

Either they sort it out before they get here or they don't come. (Which might rather be the point...). Quarantine in a hotel - you would need room service because you cannot leave your room AND the hotel would have to agree to have someone stay who is in quarantine. I know a hotel right here in Martigny where a guest had the virus. It has cost the hotel 70'000CHF to disinfect. Hotels cannot take on those kinds of expenses. Plus Switzerland is not comparable to, say, the UK and US in terms of food delivery. VERY few restaurants deliver...especially outside the larger towns and cities. I only know of one here for example.
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 01:59 AM

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...rnational.html
and Swiss television channel Swiss Info at 13.30 today
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 09:22 AM

I'm just questioning the notion that people would be coming knowing they'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks in pricey Swiss hotels. Not going to happen.

Just like the EU list of countries, many of them like Australia, NZ, Canada, South Korea and others have required quarantines to enter those countries. That means tourists from those countries may be able to enter the EU without quarantine but they face quarantines when they return to their countries.

So most tourists from those countries won't travel to the EU under those conditions.

Instead, the EU included the Balkan countries and some countries such as Switzerland has excluded them.

Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 11:16 PM

Yes - Switzerland has required that those coming from Serbia and Kosovo quarantine for 10 days when entering Switzerland. Why? Because a group of Serbs brought back the virus to the Grisons last week. And those countries have a very high infection rate.

Schengen countries are not all EU members. And Schengen countries have the right not to admit certain country nationals if they wish.

This morning the canton of Vaud announced that anyone going into any shop where there are more than 10 people present has to wear a mask effective from Wednesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -