Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Italy (merged threads)

Search

Coronavirus in Italy (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm supposed to be going to Italy for six weeks starting in mid-April, and I'm really hoping things have settled down by then. Especially because last year's trip was short-circuited by a knee injury on my second day of travel!
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 05:54 PM

Coronavirus and Southern Italy

I am wondering if things progress, will travel insurance cover a cancellation? Allianz? We are going to Sicily in a month. Of course, nobody has a crystal ball as to how thing will progress but I remember having to cancel my trip after the tsunami in Japan and it wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be.
thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 06:10 PM
kja

You need to check your travel insurance policy for what is covered and/or consult insuremytrip to learn your options.

I'm planning a trip to Laos & Cambodia, and found two companies (ONLY two) that provided automatic coverage in the event that CDC issued a warning AFTER I made non-cancellable plans and AFTER I bought the insurance. Here's a thread that covers what I learned:
Travel insurance in light of the Coronavirus

Of course, cancel for any reason insurance is just that -- but generally provides only partial coverage.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An uncovered risk is that if a traveler is in an area when a quarantine is imposed, there will be two weeks of hotel and food expenses, minimum, until the quarantine is lifted. I doubt any insurance will cover that. And that is the best case scenario, as one could be infected and have hospital bills, etc.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by artsnletters
I'm supposed to be going to Italy for six weeks starting in mid-April, and I'm really hoping things have settled down by then. Especially because last year's trip was short-circuited by a knee injury on my second day of travel!
We've been planning on Nice and Monaco for the end of May for a year, now. I hope it will start diminishing due to warmer temps by then... or that they'll call off the race??
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:06 AM

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...onavirus-italy

CDC Level 2 alert. Effectively the elderly or those with chronic medical conditions advised not to travel.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:37 AM

I think you made the right call, mmotcam. The risk of disrupted travel plans is undoubtedly higher than the risk of infection.

Still, I don't think anyone can say that later in the year will be safer. There is no vaccine and it only takes one infected person to set off a new cluster of cases.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 02:10 AM

New case in Palermo
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 02:40 AM

Just read that there has been a case in Palermo. I am heading to Sicily in April.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 04:05 AM

There are cases popping up all over. It seems the North Italians have unwittingly spread the virus to Austria, Croatia, Teneriffe, etc. Just individual cases so far but quarantine measures and lockdowns are being carried out.

The virus isn't deadly to the healthy but it's highly contagious and can be deadly to those with pre-existing conditions. I'm not worried about catching it myself but I don't want to pass it to people in my building who are suffering from cancer, etc. That's the problem with this virus.

For those travelling in the next few months, it's a tough call if you should travel or not.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:20 AM

Quick summary from BBC on rights with the airlines.:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...t5cy2vuI3ivj70
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:30 AM

Switzerland has just confirmed its first case as well as Barcelona.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 06:41 AM

Nothing I can do a the moment but 'wait and see'.

I am planning to fly to Catania on 3rd April for 18 days, flying out of Palermo. Airlines are not refunding (see above BBC article) unless there is a ban, which is fair enough. My hotels are all cancelable up to a few days before.

I think I may do some research on an alternative destination and book cancelable hotels, just in case. However, it is spreading so fast, by April is could be everywhere
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:34 AM

3 week trip Rome & Tuscany

Not leaving till end of April, but more worried about getting back into the US. We are only traveling south of Florence, but if customs sees Italy on your return info, then what?
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:40 AM

It won't matter. By then the virus will have spread all over Europe... I'm betting it will be in North America too.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by OReilly64
Just read that there has been a case in Palermo. I am heading to Sicily in April.
My sister returned from Palermo this afternoon ...
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<I think I may do some research on an alternative destination and book cancelable hotels, just in case. However, it is spreading so fast, by April is could be everywhere>>

The problem Ger is that even if it's ok when you arrive, by the time you leave there may be identified or perhaps even worse unidentified cases. For example some school kids from Truro just got home from skiing in Northern Italy and they have all been sent home for 2 weeks. Who knows whether they have brought it home with them or not. And are their families required to put themselves in quarantine as well? anyway I'm about to sit down with all the details of the hotels I've booked for my Spain trip in June and make a note of the cancellation terms and details for all of them plus my car hire. The flights were very cheap so i will either rebook for something later in the year or just cancel.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 08:02 AM

yes, I read about the kids in Truro. All my hotel rooms booked for this year can be cancelled. I thought of bringing my October trip to Greece forward, but airfares are expensive. May bring Montpellier trip forward just book hotels and play it by ear with flights until the last minute.

Otherwise I may be speeding a lot of time in Dublin this year
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by MyriamC
My sister returned from Palermo this afternoon ...
There is the problem which no one can really fix. If there is one case in Palermo, then others have been exposed. There is no way to know, I think, if your sister was possibly exposed, so through no one’s fault, it could be unknowingly spread.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 08:59 AM

The virus is communicable before there are symptoms. That means that the virus will have already spread by the time it is recognized in any particular place and quarantined there. Someone in Palermo was spreading the disease before being diagnosed. If or when one of those exposed persons travel, there will be a new hot spot recognized when that person shows symptoms, after having exposed others at the new location. And so it goes.

The pandemic is already underway. Everyone will get it unless a vaccine is found and rapidly dispensed (highly unlikely) or an effective antiviral drug is found, manufactured, and distributed in large quantities (possible, but not soon) or the virus mutates to a less virulent form which spreads rapidly and naturally immunizes the world's population (unpredictable).

Do you want to be on the same bus/train/plane/subway as the asymptomatic virus spreader? Do you want to be in a theater or arena with the asymptomatic spreader? Do you want to be in Anytown when it is quarantined?

Do you really want to plan a trip this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -