One week in Ireland - Help!

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Ireland - Help!

My husband and I are going to be in Ireland the last week in August. We have 2 days in Dublin and car rental for 5 days. Not enough time I know but there it is. What is a must to see. There is so much. Is it feasible to go to Ireland at that time and not have any accommodation booked once we leave Dublin. Does anyone think that we could just pick up something locally when we stop. What are your suggestions? Where should we stop? Help. We are travelling on a strict budget and hoping to spend no more than 100 euros a night - less if possible. We are older and do not wish to spend all of our time driving around in a rush - so what is feasible? Should we just pick a couple of towns to stay in and day tour from there?
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 01:48 AM

As answered elsewhere.

Consider saving the Rental car money and use Public Transport and local tours.. Consider 2 days Killarney, 1 day Limerick and 2 days Galway with a later express bus back to Dublin airport and a hotel with a shuttle service. I am in suggesting that assuming you only have the regular tourist spots on the itinerary.

B&B's are typically €35-40 per person per night so within your budget. August is peak season so winging it will possibly require not being able to stay central to your chosen spots.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:44 AM

http://www.galwaytourcompany.com/gtc/daytours.jsp

http://www.fahertytours.com/

Take the go bus from Dublin, cheap and then take day tours from Galway.

Pick another location or do day trips from Dublin. You can even take the train to Belfast for the day, south to the Wicklow mountains. I would book a B%B or guesthouse though.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:48 AM

http://www.city-discovery.com/dublin/tour.php?id=11486

You can take the train to Belfast and do a black cab tour, go to the Titanic exhibit. Day trip to Howth or Newgrange. Some of the Hostels have private rooms. Pub Grub is great and cheaper. The markets and Marks and Spencer have great take away.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:56 AM

Good day trip from Dublin either north to Newgrange and Trim castle or south to Wicklow Mnts and Glendalough. Both great. Lots to do in Dublin and we took in pubs with singing and two plays (Abbey Theatre and Gate Theatre) and much more. Maybe time for a quick trip westward to Killarney?