Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cornwall, Wales, and near LHR ????'s (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cornwall-wales-and-near-lhr-s-356270/)

lcallow May 7th, 2008 06:53 AM

Cornwall, Wales, and near LHR ????'s

Hello

the trip is all planned - arrive LHR May 13th around noon, drive to Stourhead perhaps via Avebury for 2 nights at the Spread Eagle Inn.

then on to Saint Mawes for a week in an apartment there. We do have a 'free' night between Stourhead and St Mawes - any suggestions as to places to see, stopover for a night or driving routes?

after St Mawes - on to Conwy for a week there. Again, with an extra day to spend enroute. any suggestions as to places to see, stopover for a night or driving routes? (should mention that this will be May 23rd which is the Friday of a bank holiday weekend I think - any ideas on traffic or routing also welcomed)

after that 2 nights in Broadway planning to see Snowshill and perhaps Hidcote - will it be wall to wall with people on Sunday?

then to LHR airport hotel (Sheraton Skyline)on Bath Road. Plan is to get there early afternoon, check in most of the baggage then go somewhere for 3 or 4 or 5 hours - thinking perhaps Kew but am interested in other suggestions. Leonard

janisj May 7th, 2008 08:19 AM

Just 2 quick comments for now . . .

Hidecote will be crowded, especially if the weather is nice. But definitely try to visit. Snowshill is lovely - but if you are into Gardens, Hidecote is a must.

and -- I'd be <u>very</u> concerned about your first day. Are you flying in overnight? If so, driving from LHR &gt; Avebury &gt; Stourhead would be problematic at best. It can definitely be difficult/dangerous to drive any distance on a jet lagged first day. Are you flying in coach or business/first? That could make a difference - but even fc doesn't guarantee a lot of sleep.

Londonres May 7th, 2008 09:33 AM

When at Stourhead, don't forget to say &quot;hi&quot; to my mother, if she is on volunteer duty that day. Also, try to visit the garden at Stourton House(next door). It's one of my favourite private gardens.

Between Stourhead and St Mawes, you could consider staying on the South Devon coast. Options include:

The Maltsters Arms near Totnes
Nonsuch House at Dartmouth
The Tower Inn at Slapton

En route to Conway, you could try the Tollgate Inn at Bradford on Avon (near Bath) or Harptree Court, East Harptree (near Bristol).

Check out http://www.sawdays.co.uk/
for details and other ideas.

lcallow May 7th, 2008 09:50 AM

Thanks Janis and I look forward to any further input you have on the other areas.

It is a fairly short drive LHR to Stourhead and I have done similar several times in the past. If I or my travel companions are worse for wear it will mean skipping Avebury (although a walk and stretch followed by a snack at the Red Lion is something that I alway look forward to) and having a stop or two on the direct route. From previous experience it is not much of a problem for me and I usually manage a few naps on the flight. Last year went from LHR to Saint Mawes but did have to stop for coffee enroute and then hit a horrible traffic, construction snarl just before I was to turn off of the A30 (I think it is A30)It is not something I would advise others to do but I have always picked up a car at LHR off of the flight and driven at least a ways from the airport and have not found it a problem. There is also another driver with some UK driving experience with me.

Leonard

ps - for anyone reading the original post when I ask about driving routes
I am looking for interesting drives and to avoid congestion. I do love to drive and try to avoid motorways unless just trying to make a lot of ground quickly.

lcallow May 7th, 2008 04:48 PM

Londonres
Thanks for the tips. I am looking into them now.

Will your mother know you by that name?

Leonard

Londonres May 8th, 2008 12:28 AM

No she won't know me by that name, but just look out for someone who looks like an older version of me.