Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cornwall in March (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cornwall-in-march-33683/)

Robbyn Oct 22nd, 1998 06:11 PM

Cornwall in March

My husband,son and I are going to Cornwall in March. Is there any place special you have been and would like to tell me about? <BR>Great restaurants, towns, or B&B's. Has anyone been to that area in March? We were wondering about the weather. (We are also stopping in Devon. <BR>Thanks so much. <BR>Robbyn from Indiana

NIGEL DORAN Oct 22nd, 1998 11:52 PM

<BR>Hello <BR> <BR>Cannot help you with specific sites, as I have never been to Cornwall. I would suggest you scour the guides, like the Rough Guide to England or the Lonely Planet series. <BR>However, I do know about the weather in the U K. It will likely be cool, but not cold. The south west is a peninsula, so it benefits from the warming effect of the sea. Expect squally showers and wind. I would take wateproofs and would wear layers, so that if you get hot, perhaps when you go into a museum or tea shop, you can take one off. One of those telescopic umbrellas (a brolly as we call them) would be handy.

Mike Miller Oct 23rd, 1998 03:08 AM

Stayed in a very nice place in Penzance named Glencree Private Hotel and because the weather was so bad when we were there, we drove up the road to Flambards Amusement Park which has a wonderful indoor victorian village and a London Blitz scene that makes you feel like you're in the middle of it. Be sure to visit Mousehole (about 1 mile from Penzance). Other places we thoroughly enjoyed in Cornwall: St. Ives, Port Isaac, Lands End, Tintagel and Clovelley.

Jeff Holcomb Nov 22nd, 1998 01:57 PM

I have been to Cornwall for three straight years and plan to make a pilgrimage there every year. I first was intrigued because of the film The Shell Seekers. The book was written by Rosamund Pilchard(sp). I then decided to visit it myself. I'm glad that I did. My favorite B&B is the Trebrea Lodge in Tintagel. The chef is the best cook in the world. I love Tintagel Castle as well. It is a little touristy, but nothing compared to what we see in the states. If you get a chance, go see the village of Clovelly for an authentic Cornwall fishing town. I also stayed at the Land's End Hotel (also considered touristy because of the carnival like park) The reason I stayed there is because of the view and the close proximity to the Minack Theater. It's an outdoor theatre perched in the side of a cliff overlooking the ocean. You must go to a performance if you can. I can't say enough about the beautiful simplicity of Cornwall, but I will close for now. have a wonderful trip!!!

Karen Nov 22nd, 1998 03:45 PM

Front Street Guest House owned by Gail and Ian Campbell in Bovey Tracy, Devon...also in town is a fabulous small restaurant, The Rumblin'Tum. The Campbells are THE most wonderful hosts, bubbly and fun, full of information and the Rumblin' Tum is just hard to beat! If you are interested, I have their number and address, although I'm not sure reservations are necessary...very good location for moving around that area.