Cornwall, Cotswolds and Wales - 2 weeks and 2 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan to arrive at London Gatwick 4/16 in a.m. Most probably will travel by train to Bath for several days then on to Cornwall and as far as St. Ives. Then will go back north to Cotswolds and Wales. We spent a week in London on our last trip so don't plan to spend time there this time but get into country more.

We hope to use Britrail and local buses to get around. Would appreciate any input and help with accomdations in Bath and Cotswolds area and where I might get info on buses. Planning to visit several potters in both areas as spouse is potter and artist.

Also, does anyone have info on Rhayder in Wales?

Thanks for replies about recent inquires about potteries as websites were very helpful.

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Hi Mud - What's your price range for accomodation?

I live near Bath - so may be able to help regarding public transport in tnis area. Where do you want to go?

Steve
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM

For public transport in Cornwall, you might like to check: www.carfreedaysout.com, they list the details of exploring by bus/train.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve. We would like to find something around $100-150 US dollars if possible. Just need a simple room but quiet as we don't plan to do much but sleep there. It would be great if we could stay in a home or b&b and be around local folks. I will post a list of towns we hope to visit to see potters later today when I have more time. We were in Bath 5 yr. ago but just for 2 day trips.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM

If you're covering Cornwall, Cotswolds and especially Wales, you are probably better renting a car. Solely relying on public transportation would limit the areas you can discover.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Renting a car is not an option for us on this trip--we would like to get home in one piece but thanks for the input.

Would appreciate any recommendations on accomodations for Bath, Stratford, Stow in the Wolds and St. Ives.

Does anyone have any info on Rhayder in Wales?

Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You want to visit some places that don't have the best public transport. For instance there is virtually no rail service in the Cotswolds. There are some trains to places like Moreton-in-Marsh. And there are some buses -- but they are geared to locals and aren't convenient for touring around.

You can get around Cornwall by bus -- but if you want ANY flexibility and the ability to tour around efficiently - not so much.

Same for many parts of Wales. There is good train service to some cities - but to get out and about isn't that easy.

Comments like &quot;<i>we would like to get home in one piece</i>&quot; make me wonder what you think driving in the UK is like. Hundreds of thousands of Americans drive successfully there every year. If you are competent drivers at home you would be just fine.

Not that every itinerary needs a car - many are better by public transport. But to tour through that many rural areas in just a couple of weeks - a car really is the best option.

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

My comments on driving in England were certainly no reflection on British drivers but rather personal experience in traveling with a spouse who cannot navigate and I don't want the responsibility of doing all the driving. Why so snooty?

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Driving outside of London is not much different from driving anywhere else. The only things you need to be aware are the roundabouts and generally narrower roads. As for navigating, you can rent a car with a satnav, and RAC website has very good road planner.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM

Mudbug - You might find this link useful for B&amp;B's:

http://visitbath.co.uk/site/where_to_stay

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Whatever Britrail is, it certainly isn't a British train or bus company.

Trying to see three different parts of Britain by public transport is tricky - and to be honest, inexplicable. If you're worried about navigating in a car (where you can always turn round and go back if you miss a turning) you're going to be in serious trouble on buses and trains: miss your station in the middle of the countryside and you can be hanging round the next station for hours waiting for the next one back.

However if you're determined to it the hard way, the Cotswold bit is probably the easiest for public transport, since there are enough schoolchildren in the area to justify a reasonable bus service which occasionally connects with trains.

There's a guide to the general principles at http://www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/file...oreguide07.pdf Specific timetables for the north, central and southern bits are at www.cotswoldsaonb.com/page.asp?pageID=16 There's no eeasy way to plan this, and you need to get your timings very right. You also need to do this separately for Cornwall and (God help you) Wales. I THINK the solution, if you really want to see Wales by public transport, is to focus on just one part, starting off at www.visitwales.com.

In fact the whole www.cotswoldsaonb.com site is now a model of useful, claptrap-free help and advice on almost anything you might want to ask about the area. Except pottery, which isn't a big thing round here (try http://www.cotswold.gov.uk/nqcontent...mp;tt=cotswold and www.oxfordshirecraftguild.co.uk/Gallery.htm though)

However, if in the Cotswolds, do visit the Court Barn Museum (www.courtbarn.org.uk), an account of some quite famous attempts to establish craft workshops in the area back in those now unimaginable times when no-one could think of how to get jobs for all those poor people. Now we can't imagine how to find houses for all those rich people - or how to find cleaners or gardeners for those houses.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mudbug: I am very sorry, but there is not one &quot;snooty&quot; word in my post. I am trying to HELP you fer cryin out loud.

&quot;<i>Comments like &quot;we would like to get home in one piece&quot; make me wonder what you think driving in the UK is like.</i>&quot; True - that comment made me ask myself what horror stories you had heard. &quot;<i> Hundreds of thousands of Americans drive successfully there every year.</i>&quot; This is true. Not snooty - a fact. &quot;<i> If you are competent drivers at home you would be just fine.</i>&quot; I was trying to <u>reassure</u> you that you will be fine. How on Earth is that snooty.

Now for a semi-snooty part - if you think driving in SW England/Wales is a hassle, just wait til you try to navigate the public transport for an itinerary such as yours..