Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Corniglia: good place to stay in Cinque Terre (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/corniglia-good-place-to-stay-in-cinque-terre-710744/)

europe4me Jun 5th, 2007 09:19 AM

Corniglia: good place to stay in Cinque Terre

Any thoughts.....Is it true there isn't access to the sea/beach? And lots of steps?

Ralphie Jun 5th, 2007 09:42 AM

Lots of steps for sure. I only passed through there...during January, so I don't recall one way or the other about the beach.

Dayle Jun 5th, 2007 05:02 PM

Hi Europe,

When we hiked 4 out of the 5, we stopped for a fabulous lunch in Corniglia. It is high above the sea on the cliffs. Yes, it would be LOTS and LOTS of steps down to the beach, if there is one. Mostly along the coast there are just rocks and tiny inlets for the fishing boats.

Corniglia felt definitely untouristed compared to the other villages we visited. We didn't make it to Monterosso, which I understand has a sandy beach and is the largest town.

Buon viaggio!

Dayle Jun 5th, 2007 05:03 PM

PS - we stayed 3 nights in Santa Margherita Ligure, which we loved just on it's own. It's an hour train to Riomaggiore from SML. 10 minute boat ride over to Portofino. We would have loved to have 1 more night there.

caroltis Jun 5th, 2007 05:11 PM

Corniglia is perched so high up that getting there and getting to the other villages from there requires a whole lot of climbing and steps. Monterroso is a good place to stay as it has many restaurants, shops, etc. It's larger and has a really good beach. Vernazza is nice if you don't mind in being crammed with tourists during the day but mornings and evenings are ever so lovely. It's tiny and has really good restaurants. I think Riomaggiore might be a good place to stay as well.

bobthenavigator Jun 5th, 2007 05:42 PM

That would be my last choice in that area.

CritterP Jun 5th, 2007 06:49 PM

There are 360 steps from the train station to the town (thankfully we were going down). There is a bus that goes from the station to the town. We stayed in Manarola and loved it!

aprillilacs Jun 5th, 2007 07:23 PM

We liked staying in Corniglia. We stayed at Da Cecio, on the edge of the village. Simple rooms above a restaurant -- we had a corner room, with great views of the sea and nice cross-breezes. Not fancy in any way, but very pleasant. Corniglia's in the middle of the 5 villages, so one day we walked to and from the two villages to the south, and the next day we walked to the two villages to the north (that hike was significantly harder, very scenic -- we hiked one way and took the train back). We really enjoyed relaxing at an outdoor cafe in the village square both evenings -- lots of local residents were doing the same, and the scene was both charming and very low key. There's an excellent restaurant on the main street in town (a pedestrian street -- no cars allowed), though I forget the name. I believe there is a small beach you can walk to (down a steep hill), but we didn't make it there. We did like all the other towns of the Cinque Terre but were not sorry that we stayed in Corniglia.

Leely Jun 5th, 2007 07:42 PM

Like aprillilacs, we loved staying in Corniglia (over 5 years ago, FYI) for the reasons she mentions. It felt much more low-key and far less touristy than the other towns we visited.

Not low-key, but very, very fun, was the soccer tournament festa that just happened to be held there while we were staying. It was crazy!

I should admit I am a runner and am used to running up and down hills, so the walk down to the beach didn't feel like a hardship to me. It's a rocky little beach, but nice, I thought. The nude beach is there, too.

I would definitely stay in Corniglia again. It was so laid-back. But I like laid-back. The question is what do you like?

europe4me Jun 7th, 2007 09:50 AM

Thanks to all for your input. I have a B&B in Montorosso right now, but I was definetly a cheaper rate to stay in Corniglia.

SRS Jun 7th, 2007 12:08 PM

It likely wouldn't be my first choice, but others have posted that they enjoyed their stays there. I think there is a beach near there (at the bottom of the hill - Guvano or something).

I think the issue is whether it matters to you that you won't be right on beach and whether the steps will bother you (there are lots and lots of them).

We too stayed in Manarola and loved it (www.arpaiu.com) but if the price is really better and the place is nice and the beach/steps don't bother you, perhaps you should switch.

Have a good trip!
Sally

brando Jun 7th, 2007 12:47 PM

I've been to the CT twice for 5 days each, I would recommend staying there for the fact the previous posters din't like it!!!! It has hands down the best vista of the CT, it's work to get there so it is not crowded, and If you want a beach hike- it's more refreshing hiking there then waking 20 yards.

Monterossa and vernaza (so???) are full of people because it's right on the train line, corniglia is not it's more remote and better for it.

Plus for a small price of 10 euro there is a nude beach close by!!!!!