Cork to Dublin in four days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two weeks in Scotland with my partner and twin 15 year old boys. We then fly into Cork and hire a car late on 25th August. Four days later we fly out of Dublin on the 29th. I am thinking of the following itinerary after reading some of the suggestions here but still have research to do.

Day 1- Arrive Cork 10.30 and pick up a hire car (can't believe I pick up the car so late and get no use out of it. that night...idiot!)
Day 2.- Breakfast in Cork and drive to Dingle. Stay overnight in Dingle
Day 3- Drive to Doolin and the cliffs of Mohir Stay overnight in Doolin
Day 4- Drive to Dublin. Stay overnight in Dublin
Day 5- Depart Dublin for Eindhoven (and two and a 1/2 more weeks in Western Europe) - 4 pm

This means missing the Ring of Kerry. That's a little disappointing but we don't have a lot of time.

Does the itinerary sound reasonable? I know the drives are quite long, 2-3 1/2 hours each one. Are there alternative suggestions?
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM

Is the car paid for? If not consider cancelling it, book into the Radisson Blu hotel at Cork airport, which you can walk to from the terminal(though there is a shuttle too, and re book the car for the following morning.
http://www.radissonblu.ie/hotel-corkairport
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Yes, It's paid for. I'm clearly a fool! I'm only now discovering the advantages of planning!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:55 AM

With two 15 year olds, I would not choose Doolin as my overnight spot (coming from a 25 year old). There is very little to do in Doolin - literally 3 pubs and that's it. So while it is a nice place to go to if you have a lot of time (I had 2 months in Ireland), it wouldn't be my first choice for such a short trip. I think Galway would be a better overnight choice for your family and you can still do the cliffs that way. I also wouldn't worry too much about missing the ring of kerry. Again, while it is nice, with only four days I would choose the slea head drive in Dingle instead anyway!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM

Check on your auto rental. I had paid for mine with Kemwel last trip and decided to go with Dan Dooley. Kemwel refunded my money immediately with no questions asked.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

OK tayjamarie, thanks for the tip about Doolin. ViaMichelin says 3 hrs 30 from Dingle to Galway. How is the drive?

I booked the car off the aerlingus website and feel completely suckered. The fine print doesn't look too promising! Language such as, "within seven days" and "only contact through the num bers listed", etc.