Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cork city -- worth a stop en route to Kinsale?

Apr 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

We will be driving past Cork city to get to Kinsale. is it worth a stop for lunch or a snack or just to walk around for an hour, or would it be too much of a hassle for such a short stop? Last time I did this we just kept on going, but it seems a shame not to see Cork. Alternatively we could drive up from Kinsale hte next day (we'll be staying in Kinsale two nights), but that be in place of other places in the area to see.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:30 AM

We drove thru Cork on our way to Kinsale several years back. The stench from the Murphy's brewery was so bad, we couldn't wait to get out of the city.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:35 AM

Hi Doriana,
I would say yes to stopping in Cork on the way past. Cork is the City of Culture this year so a lot has been done to the City.

Kinsale and the area around it has a lot to see so I don't think, with 2 days, you will have enough time to visit from there.
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM

Cork is a beautiful city, definitely worth visiting for an hour if that's all you have.
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM

I have mixed feelings about Cork. I love the place, but seldom recommend it. Here's why:

If all you can spare is an hour or two, you will likely waste it all just getting into and out of the city. You would be better served, on such short time, to visit Cohb or even Blarney (yes, 'kissing the stone' IS pretty hokey, but the grounds ARE gorgeous).

Either place will yield a more enjoyable visit, if all you can spend is an hour or so.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:58 AM

I agree with Itallian Chauffer. We enjoy Cork, but if you are only passing through, by the time you find a parking garage you won't have much time left. If you do decide to go, I would suggest that you find the English Market. It is quite an experience, and we try to hit it whenever we are in Cork.

Blarney is nice little town for shopping at the Woolen Mills and having lunch there or in one of the several restaurants in the village.