Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cordoba vs. Granada (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cordoba-vs-granada-1014904/)

progol May 21st, 2014 02:25 AM

Cordoba vs. Granada

I'm curious about the different impressions people have about these 2 cities and I'd love to hear why you feel the way you do.

It seems a large majority of people see Cordoba on a day trip or, at best, a 1-night stay. It's generally described as "not much to do". There are a few who seem to find something more compelling about Cordoba, and I was wondering what that was. Is there a pleasure in just wandering the streets here? What qualities does Cordoba have that make it special?

Granada, on the other hand, has a lot to show for it, but many find it too touristy and crowded. Nonetheless, it does have more sites to be visited, not the least of which is the Alhambra. My impression is that few really love the city (but there are some who do!), but because it has more to see, it's worth more time than Cordoba. Is that accurate? What do you see as unique in Granada, aside from the obvious!

So I'm not asking you which city I should stay in for how many days, but what is it that you like or not like about these 2 places and why.

Thanks, I look forward to reading your comments!
Paule

traveller1959 May 21st, 2014 03:04 AM

Granada has the Alhambra which is simply magnificent and a must-see. Period.

Cordoba is IMO underrated, especially when compared to Sevilla. Cordoba's cathedral is outstanding, with the islamic structure inside and a symbol of inter-religious tolerance. I also find the city very attractive, with authentic old neighbourhoods and not as touristy as Sevilla.

sparkchaser May 21st, 2014 04:54 AM

I agree with the post above me. The cathedral-mosque in Cordoba is amazing.

Cordoboa also has some Roman ruins and an excellent hammam that is very different from the hammam in Granada.

Both cities are worth visiting but if I had to pick one, it would be Granada.

mamcalice May 21st, 2014 05:04 AM

Both cities are definitely worth a visit but neither requires an extended stay. If you must choose only one, Granada is the place to go. The Alhambra is simply amazing and we enjoyed visiting both at night and during the day so 2 nights is a good idea. Cordoba is easily done as a day trip from Seville.

Alec May 21st, 2014 05:14 AM

What I like about Córdaba is that most visitors are day trippers or on coach tour on the way to somewhere else (usually Granada or Seville). So while it gets very busy and touristy during the day (from 10 am on), it becomes a lot less after dark, with more local flavour. While it doesn't have as many 'must sees' as either of their big neighbours, the Mezquita-Cathedral, Alcázar and Jewish Quarters (Judería) are worth anyone's time and attention, plus extensive Islamic ruins at Medina Azahara in the suburbs. Some genuine Flamenco shows and tapas bars, and it's worth at least an overnight stay, or two nights.

kimhe May 21st, 2014 05:14 AM

Second traveller1959's comments about Córdoba.

I especially like the local atmosphere "Roman Córdoba" around central Plaza de las Tendillas and the Plaza-Mayor-in-Madrid-like Plaza de la Corredera. Genuine and affordable tabernas on every corner. Have had some excellent late nights in terraces on Plaza de las Tendillas, the absolute best atmosphere and crowded with groups of friends and families as late as 3am in the weekends. http://www.fmschmitt.com/travels/spa...Tendillas.html
http://www.artencordoba.com/English/...as-Square.html

Outside the Mezquita area, Córdoba is much less touristy than Granada and even Sevilla, and you can easily get a very pleasant and laid-back Andalucian feel for life here. I think there are perhaps no better place in Andalucía to reflect upon what this very special and almost mythical region is and how it developed.

Few other cities in Europe beats the history of Córdoba, from Roman Corduba to the capital of Muslim al-Andalus after 766 AD, and then through Christian times after the 1236 reconquista capture and eventual steep decline. Córdoba was the most advanced city in Europe during caliphate times about 1000AD, some 500 000 inhabitants, and a great cultural, political and economic centre with 300 public baths and the greatest library in the world. http://www.theguardian.com/spanish-t...-changed-world

I have visited Córdoba in relation to magnificent theater performances, ended up in never to forget flamenco nights, had some of the best no fuss meals ever and met brilliant people. Perhaps the best description would be to say that Córdoba - outside the absolute most beaten track - is a place where Andalucía just tend to happen.

PalenQ May 21st, 2014 05:34 AM

Cordoba is one of the nicest old looking cities I have ever been to in Spain - Granada left me nonplussed except for the awesome Alhambra and precincts right around it.

Cordoba by a large amount IMO over Granada.

progol May 21st, 2014 06:32 AM

This is wonderful!

I'm definitely going to both cities and was struck by the fact that a few of you were telling me to spend more time in Cordoba than Granada, which is not the usual first-time tourist itinerary.

Of course there will be differences of opinion, but I think that what gives a place a special ambience is more than just the sights, and it sounds like there's something about Cordoba that has that quality.

More comments, please! This is fun to read!

emily71 May 21st, 2014 08:54 AM

I enjoyed Granada and my unplanned extended stay there, in large part due to the hotel owners. While Granadians are known for being gruff, for the most part the people I met were fairly helpful-transportation workers aside. I also tried to eat in more local establishments and found the worse service in the most touristy cafe.

The views, architecture, flora and the simplistic cathedral were amazing. I do think it helped that I speak Spanish.

kimhe May 21st, 2014 09:29 AM

The video "Córdoba, life and spirit" suggests a nice Córdoba state of mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfGdpF55Uk

Flame123 May 21st, 2014 10:10 AM

I will probably be in the minority here but I really was not all that impressed with the Alhambra. It may be due to several factors that occurred (i.e. it was towards the end of our 2 week trip; we had some bad experiences there, etc.) but I really really loved Cordoba. We spent three nights there and did not run out of places to see and things to visit. It had a much more "real" feel to me and personally I loved the Mesquita much more than the Alhambra. We had tickets for both a morning visit at the Alhambra and a night visit. Honestly, I cannot say that it floored me at all. So while everyone's opinion is just that - THEIR opinion - mine is this : Cordoba fabulous, Granada so-so. Enjoy.

maitaitom May 21st, 2014 10:46 AM

kimhe...you're costing me money with that video. Now I have to add one more day to Cordoba.

((H))

bon_voyage May 21st, 2014 11:40 AM

While it's been more than twenty years since my husband and visited Spain, the memory of standing in the Alhambra's Hall of the Ambassadors where Ferdinand and Isabella received Columbus remains one of my goosebump travel moments. Also found the bullfighting museum in Cordoba fascinating.

progol May 21st, 2014 12:51 PM

Well, loving all the comments! I'm planning on 3 nights in Cordoba and this thread is really reassuring me about that decision. Kimhe, your descriptions are so lovely and capture a feeling of the city that I hope to experience, I love a place that is as much about atmosphere as sights, and it does sound like Cordoba is that type of place.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. It's great to read the different takes.

Flame123 May 21st, 2014 07:31 PM

If you have not already made your hotel reservations in Cordoba, I can VERY highly recommend The Hotel Viento 10. We spent 3 lovely nights there last September and it was just fabulous in every way. Here is the link on tripadvisor if you are interested :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Andalucia.html

progol May 22nd, 2014 02:21 AM

Thanks, Flame. The Viento 10 is definitely on the radar! It looks lovely and I did read your TR and your wonderful description of the hotel.

I'm not going till next spring, so it's too early to make my reservations. I'm also considering the NH Amistad because I have miles that I can use for the booking.

kimhe May 22nd, 2014 02:30 AM

No one has better captured the essence of the eight Andalucian capitals than the poet Manuel Machado in his Canto a Andalucía/Song to Andalucía (1936):

Cádiz, salt-laden brilliance. Granada,
hidden waters that weep.
Roman and Moorish, silent Córdoba.
Málaga, flamenco singer.
Almería, golden.
Jaén, silvery. Huelva, shore
of the three caravels.
And Sevilla.

the original:

Cádiz, salada claridad. Granada,
agua oculta que llora.
Romana y mora, Córdoba callada.
Málaga cantaora.
Almería, dorada.
Plateado, Jaén. Huelva, la orilla
de las tres carabelas.
Y Sevilla.

progol May 22nd, 2014 03:31 AM

Beautiful poem, kimhe! I'm getting a wonderful picture of the different colors of Andalucia!