Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which of these florence hotels do you recommend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a hotel that is in the city center and close to cafes and shopping so which of these hotels do you think I should go for?
1- grand hotel
2- Westin excelsior
3- hotel savoy
4- lungarno suites
5-hotel montebello splendid.

Also do you think getting a room facing the duomo or the river arno is better?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM

browning, I have stayed at the Westin Excelsior and the Hotel Savoy. Both hotels are wonderful.

My no.1 choice is the Westin Excelsior.
If you stay there try to get a room overlooking the Arno with a balcony.
Do keep in the mind there is the street between the hotel and the river but anywhere in Florence is going to have traffic etc. Do not know when you are going but their Rooftop Restaurant which is open during the good weather has a view that is absolutely fantastic. Florence spread out all around you.

The Hotel Savoy which is located at the Piazza della Repubblica is a very lovely hotel also. No complaints at all.

But the Excelsior is my favorite.

The Grand Hotel is a bit further away from the center (past the Excelsior) and although I have not stayed there I think it is a business type hotel but very beautiful. The other two hotels I am not famaliar with

Regarding a view of the Arno or the Duomo both are beautiful. The rooms we have had at the Savoy have always looked out on the side street (the street that runs into the Piazza).

At the Excelsior we always had rooms facing the Arno with a balcony.

What a fun choice?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Loveitaly,
Thanks for your help. A room in the excelsior facing the arno does sound nice. How far is it from the shopping? uffizi gallery?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

bringing it to the top
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:31 AM
ira

Hi browning,

Go to www.mappy.com.

Enter your hotel's address and the address of your destination.

Change "Express" to "Pedestrian".

It will give you routes, distance and time.

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 10:27 AM
mjs

We have only stayed at the Lungarno Suites so I cannot compare them for you but I can highly recommend this hotel. Location is terrific, right on the Arno about 50 meters from the Ponte Vechio.
Hotel is small without large public areas. Run by the Ferragamo family so furnishings are tasteful modern Italian. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was quite large by any standard. Two nice marble bathrooms. One with a great shower and one with a nice bath. Terrific bath amenities.
Large sofa bed in livingroom which is great if there are more than two of you. Nice small kitchen where you can cook if you wish. The hotel will do your food shopping for you if you wish. Nice breakfast brought up to your room every morning with your choice of newspaper. We happily stayed in this hotel as a family of four and would do so again.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Another vote for the Lungarno. Excellent location, unbelievable service, and wonderful views of the Arno River from some of the rooms.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM

browing, I just checked on google.com for you and typed in: Westin Excelsior, Florence Italy. You will see their webpage, map and all. It is down about one bridge from the Ponte Vecchio (the main bridge over the River Arno that has all the shops). When you walk from the hotel toward the Ponte Vecchio you get there and turn left and go straight down that street and there you are!