Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cordoba on a Monday and itinerary help (again)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2023, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading in so many threads to avoid Cordoba on a Monday. Is it really that bad that we can't enjoy the city? I am having a hard time to do a work around, so looking for advice - specific to this issue and in general.

Arrive Madrid Monday morning at 08:00. We are booking a hotel starting the night before so we can check in right away and hit the ground running (we are used to this part)
Madrid (Tuesday)
Madrid day trip to Toledo
Madrid
Madrid Day trip to Segovia
Granada
Granada (Alhambra tickets purchased)
Granada
Seville
Seville
Seville
Seville. - day trip to either Cadiz or white towns but probably not Ronda. Any advice as to which one? I don't think we can do both and not cut down too much time in Seville
Seville
Cordoba (SUNDAY)
Cordaba (MONDAY)
Madrid Tuesday
Leave for home (Wednesday)

One other option I can think of is to extend our Seville portion to 7 nights. That way we can do a day trip to Cordoba not on a Monday, and then be able to add the 2nd day trip to Cadiz. I have changed my hotel reservations so many times, but this part is tricky. Also, we want to definitely start in Madrid vs. going straight to another city and end up in Madrid for several reasons, so don't want to change that part.

Thanks for your help again!
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 05:24 AM

In general restaurants and shops in Europe are closed on Monday, as are museums. This is not 100% true. A specific restaurant may choose a different day of the week to close. We were recently in Nimes France on a Tuesday (having deliberately avoided Monday) and the museum we wanted to visit was closed. So the bottom line is to check the schedule of the specific places you are interested in visiting.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 06:23 AM

The Mezquita is open, so I don't see a huge problem. Check opening hours for all that you wanted to see. Cordoba is large enough that you will find something to eat.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 07:38 AM

I think we were there on a Monday. We really enjoyed the Mezquita and walking around the city. Our hotel had a wonderful restaurant and we had a great time.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

ok thank you. I do know the Mezquita is open all days. It just seemed as I saw so much other advice about Mondays for the other sites and restaurants. But I think I have no choice. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 10:28 AM

I don't remember if we were in Cordoba on a Monday. But we have traveled to Europe many, many times, including last May to Greece, and we have never had a problem on Mondays with museums, restaurants being closed. The only place we have noticed this is in France. We spent 2 nights in Cordoba and we loved it. We enjoyed the Mezquita, the Palacio de Viana, the Roman Bridge, the Alcazar Gardens, and exploring the Juderia.

You should check the websites of all the places you want to visit in Cordoba.

Last edited by KarenWoo; Mar 9th, 2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 07:25 PM

Although Monday is not ideal, if you are there only one day, you will have more then enough to do and see. Mezquita, Casa Andluzi, Zoco Municipal de Artesiana, Torre de la Callahora, and of course one of the most beautiful cities in the world to wander about. To eat, both Bodegas Campos and Casa Mazal are open Mondays, so you should be good to go with fantastic eating.