Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cordless Curling Irons (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cordless-curling-irons-65295/)

Robbyn Mar 13th, 2000 04:38 PM

Cordless Curling Irons

We are leaving for Holland and Norway in 5 days and I still am not sure what to take to curl and blow dry my hair. Please don't say not to worry about it, because I would look terrible if I didn't. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I have tried converters and adapters different times and sometimes they have worked, but most of the time they haven't. <BR> <BR>I saw a cordless curling iron at the store and thought that might be the answer. Has anyone ever used one? I am worried about the butane refills they have shown. It looks like something the might blow UP. I would appreciate any help with this. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Robbyn

Judy Mar 13th, 2000 05:42 PM

Hi - I have used the Braun butane curling iron for years now and travel with it everywhere. As far as I know, the butane refills are safe - you just have to remember to pack your refills in your luggage, not in your carry-on. Apparently airport security won't allow it. I found this out on my way to Mexico years ago and they took them from me before boarding. Needless to say, I had my hair up in a pony tail most of my stay there. As far as your drier, sorry, can't advise. Always thought that adapters worked. Hope I helped somewhat. Happy travels.

Mustangs81 Mar 13th, 2000 06:31 PM

I second Judy's post. The Braun has worked for me for years. Be careful, it can burn your fingers.

Robbyn Mar 13th, 2000 06:48 PM

Thanks so much for you're reply. I've seen a ConAir cordless hair curler and so I guess I will get that. Most of the larger hotels have hair driers so I will depend on that. <BR>Thanks for your help. <BR>Robbyn

greg Mar 13th, 2000 10:41 PM

Whether you think it might blow up or not, the airline's position is pretty clear. Airlines who care to put this info on Web usually put this under "dangerous/restricted goods" listing which includes: <BR> <BR>... <BR>Flammable solids and liquids <BR>Compressed gases <BR>...

Robbyn Mar 14th, 2000 03:45 AM

I wasn't talking about it causing a problem while I was flying. I was wondering about when I had it turned on and using it. The back of the box reads that it has been approved by the airlines for travel. How would this be any different than packing a BIC lighter or can of hairspray? Geeeeee... I suppose I will just have to try the adapters I saw at Wal-Mart again and see if they will work. <BR>Robbyn

Lori Mar 14th, 2000 07:42 AM

Robyn, <BR>I've always used an adapter and converter, you plug the converter into the outlet and then the adapter plug and then your curling iron or dryer - always works just fine for me. You need to be sure you have the right plugs for the right country tho (England is different than Europe). Most hotels have dryers these days so that eliminates that problem altho I always travel with my own just in case.

amy Mar 14th, 2000 08:28 AM

i used my braun cordless all through europe and it was great for those nights out. the hotel hair dryers suck so you need something else to give your hair some lift. for the others who responded- where can i get more butane refills here in the states??? can you believe i lucked out and while travelling through italy- i found refills in this tiny shop in siena?

Kathleen Mar 14th, 2000 08:40 AM

Just a thought, but if you travel a lot to Europe, why not buy a small hair dryer, or at least a curling iron there? then you'll know it works, plus you get the adventure of a 'real' shopping excursion. And then you'll have it for future travel.

Dee Mar 14th, 2000 08:47 AM

I am also one of those people that cannot live without my hair dryer and curling iron, but carrying all those converters and adapters was too much! Rather than bothering with them and those little butane canisters on my last trip to Europe I went to a department store (like Macy's, etc) and bought powerful travel size drier that is made with the european voltage. Now I never have to worry about blowing things up or looking terrible for my whole trip.

Robbyn Mar 14th, 2000 11:31 AM

I have a curling iron that I bought when I was in England, I didn't think it would work in Holland or Norway, but maybe it will. I'll bring it and find out. Thanks for your replies. <BR>I think I will just buy a blow drier when I get there too. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Robbyn

Helena Mar 14th, 2000 02:43 PM

Your British appliance should work just fine in Europe -- but don't forget that the plugs in Europe are a different shape than in the UK! The electricity is the same, the shape/size of the plug is different.

Sam Mar 14th, 2000 04:08 PM

Pur-leeeze get a life. <BR> <BR>If you want to look like an American, then bring your curling iron -- don't forget to add a couple of different pounds, too. OOOPS, you're already there . . . <BR> <BR>

Donna Mar 14th, 2000 05:27 PM

I love my Braun cordless. It works just great!

Everydayisa Mar 14th, 2000 07:27 PM

Sam, Sam, Sam, <BR> <BR>Be nice. Controlling one's hair is an honest-to-goodness issue for some of us. In my case, my ethnicity makes hair control a daily struggle. If such matters are too trivial for you to bear, you can just bypass posts like these. You wouldn't want to be accused of being insensitive on racial matters, would you? I didn't think so.

Kerry Mar 14th, 2000 07:48 PM

As this is obviously a "ladies" inquiry and Sam is, presumably, a MAN (probably a toe-tapping one at that who cannot suffer high maintenance women, no matter what it's worth - and I'd guess he's not getting much attention, in any event), rather than admonish Sam to ignore us, we should just ignore Sam - don't y'all think? I'm guessing Sam has little or no hair of his own to be of any concern. Anyway, for all the ladies who've tried zillions of hair products that simply do not produce the results promised - get this one: "aquage - working spray" - it is positively amazing. Assuming you have a decent cut (the kind that ought to "shake out" nicely), spray this on damp hair, "fluff" with your fingers, and off you go! It is THE most amazing styling product I've ever tried (the multitude of others have produced no results, for me anyway). Your hair STAYS where you've fluffed it and it "lands" just beautifully. And, the style stays from then on... Believe me, I have "bad hair" (fine and limp). But, this product is completely amazing. In my case, produces "styled" hair where there is virtually no chance of it. As someone else mentioned here (or to another similar inquiry), get Conair appliances and drag them along (no matter what); the Braun cordless curling appliances are terrific; and "aquage working spray" may just work for you all by itself. Believe me, it's worth a try...

April Mar 14th, 2000 10:32 PM

Kerry, <BR>Can you tell me where one finds this spray? And do you know if it works on thick, unlimp hair?

Ellen Mar 16th, 2000 09:03 AM

When you get there, also pick up a hairdryer and curling iron. I bought one (curling iron) in France and now never have to worry about converters etc. Good investment if you like to travel in Europe

Nancy Mar 16th, 2000 04:17 PM

Always wondered about those butane curling irons. Those hotel hair dryers dry my hair but man, it takes a long time!!! I do use a Conair dryer with dual voltage and an adapter, but it still is weak. What about what Greg and his post about not being able to carry compressed gases?? Would an airline really conviscate them (butane cartriges) if they were found or are they explosive!!?? thanks p.s.How long does one cartrige last?? Sam, these really are important questions...

greg Mar 16th, 2000 05:17 PM

Nancy, <BR>The fact that airport security does take it away is documented by Judy's posting from her experience.