Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Copy of email for info on YOUNG PRAGUE/Halloween (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/copy-of-email-for-info-on-young-prague-halloween-479635/)

lwinokur Oct 11th, 2004 07:29 AM

Copy of email for info on YOUNG PRAGUE/Halloween

I've had a good number of emails asking for information on nightlife in Prague. I've copied and pasted one of them here. It's mostly about bars/clubs, etc. Take a look if this is something you're looking for:

As for your ???s with this email, I really think you're going at a good time. It'll be a bit cold, but not unbearable, and you'll miss tourist season which is crazy in Prague. Also, the prices on just about everything will be considerably down from the summer.
For Halloween, it's not such a big deal for the czech people, but there will be HUGE parties among the expats. Prague has one of the biggest expat communities in the world, and its a high, high majority of young people. Last year there was a great party at a bar called the Joshua Tree. There were a good handful of parties at other bars as well. They're put on by expat companies such as the Prague Post and the expat website. Go to www.expat.cz - this will be your best guide for entertainment, especially for Halloween. Its mainly a site for finding jobs and buying/selling furniture and what not, but there's also an entertainment section. Just to let you know, the Joshua tree is at the bottom of Wenceslas Square. When you come to the big street at the end, go right and walk a ways (5 minutes). there's a light that reflects on the ground that says Joshua Tree.

Seeing that you're young, you'd probably like Nebe, which was by far my favorite bar. It's kind of loungy with good upbeat music (hopefully it won't be so cheesy), and it's always packed. it's a major hot spot, but not too many people know about it if they're not living in prague. it's incredibly hard to find, so take a cab for sure. If the cab driver doesn't know exactly (and he should) tell him its across from Tesco near the Narodni Trida metro stopI had been living there for a year, and I still couldnt get to it. It's on a road with all windy streets...
My other favorite is called the Akropolis. It's across from the restaurant Quedos, which is mentioned in the other email i'll send. It's literally right across the street, and quedos in on a street called Kubelikova street in the neighborhood Zizkov, near the tv tower. you'll also have to take a cab cause its not near the center at all. It's kind of an underground scene. there's often live music, drinks are cheap and there'll be a good crowd there. It's a good mix of czechs and expats alike.

If you're looking to stay in the center, there a bunch of bars off old town square, between there and the Namesti Republiky metro stop (yellow line i believe). these are chateau (always packed, but a bit more cheesy), M1 and Marquee Decad (spelling is probably way off). M1 is a bit more "posh" and you'll pay for it too, but compared to home it's still dirt cheap. Marquee is real chill. there are couches to lounge on. you'll just sit at a table or couch somewhere....pretty easy to meet people.

For a classy, older crowd go to Tretters. It's right on Old Town Square, on the far side from the clock, behind the statue in the middle, on a corner. It's Russian Mob owned, is the rumor, and its more of a coctail place than a beer joint. You'll see women all dressed up (most likely hookers, but the "classy" kind, and if i didn't tell you you'd never know). This place is relaxed, quiet, chic...it'll be a nice escape from the loud bars.

If you like clubs, go to Roxi. Get a schedual ahead of time because they have great live performances, and "theme" nights....not like costumes or anything, but like monday will be drum and base, tuesday techno, etc etc. Stay away from the club off the Charles Bridge. It's in all the guide books as the largest club in eastern europe, but among the people in prague, it's known as 4 floors of teenage whores...its a waste of money and time. The roxi is on Dluha street, not far from Tretters...just ask someone who looks american or brittish, they'll tell you where it is.

As for day trips, Karlovy Vary is a can't miss....you could even spend the night if you're gonna be there for so long. there really isn't anything to see in terms of museums or anything, but it's a spa town, so get a massage for dirt cheap - there are all different quality of places for all diff prices, walk around the town and be sure to taste the water from the natural springs. buy a box of waffers. they're known in the czech republic, and especially in karlovy vary - they're made there. The coconut are by far the best, even if you don't like coconut. a box costs about $2.

The other day trips are all great, all those cities are nice, but Karlovy Vary is the one to do if you only do one. It's just so beautiful.

As far as going to Budapest, you certainly have the time. People love it. It's not so close, however....about 9 hours by bus/train. Its not anywhere as beautiful as prague is by any means, and it's a bit more expensive, but nice none the less. The only thing i didnt like is that its more spread out, there really isn't a center to the city like there is in prague, so when i was there i couldnt get my barrings at all. You may also want to consider going to Krakow, Salzburg or Vienna. They're all considerably closer and will be cheaper to get to, although austria is expensive, seeing they're on the euro. Krakow is a beautiful city, and you can stay in apartments instead of hotels for dirt cheap - prob between $50 to $100/night, depending....

To get there, take the bus. It's cheaper and generally faster. Also, if you're traveling alone with valuables, there have been horror stories of night trains. I haven't experienced any, but I also never took the trains, and def don't let that throw you or stop you from doing anything. The bus station is at Florence, on the red line. for the day trips, much planning isnt needed at all because for the cities in the czech republic, busses pretty much leave every hour, so just go there and buy your ticket, and hop on the bus....no planning needed. Although, I wouldnt recommend that if you're going to leave the country.

I havent heard of any of the museums you've mentioned, but you should go to the communism museum. Also, there's the national museum. It's exhibits aren't great at all, but its 50 kc to get in, ($2) and if its cold it may be a nice break...the building is beautiful so that may be worth it in itself. Its at the top of Wenceslas Square, at the metro station Muzeum.

Oh, and NO PRAGUE IS NOT A BIKE city...not like amsterdam, not even close. the streets are either highways (around the city) or cobble stone streets. you won't see anyone biking, unfortunitally.

If you're getting lonely, go to Bohemia Bagels. It's a big expat hang out (and offers some good, normal food if you get sick of dumplings). There are 2....go to the one on Dluha, off of Old Town Square, not the one near Ujezd - there are by far more people on Dlouha - it's more centrally located. Even if you go just to grab a entertainment guide, it's there to help....you can also check your email.

I hope this helps! Oh, and I think it will be cold, and maybe closed because of that, but if its nice, check out the Letna beer garden. You'll have to take the green line of the metro and exit at Hradcanska (spelling??), then take a tram 2 stops i believe to Letenske Namesti. As where the park/beer garden is. When it's nice its amazing...something you really shouldnt miss. you'll sit, drink cheap beer with both locals and expats, and look out over an amazing view of the city....
If you've got any other ??s just let me know. Have fun, and you better report back after your trip.
Laurie

ChrisinPrague Oct 11th, 2004 11:59 AM

In general some good info but
the joshus tree is closed
nebe is now the iron door and it is accross from u flecku, some distance from tesco
bohemia bagel is on masna stree across fom m1

ira Oct 11th, 2004 12:20 PM

Nice of you to post, lwin.

Nice of you to update it, Chris.

lwinokur Oct 12th, 2004 05:32 AM

WOW...that all must have changed in the past 2 or 3 months then because I had been living there through June. Thanks for the update.

amp322 Oct 12th, 2004 12:53 PM

Great suggestions, everyone.

Don't think I mentioned on here that I almost burned Quedos down last July, when I was reading a paper, and the edge got caught on the flame of the candle on my table!! I was just reading
away, and I suddenly saw this HUGE flame in front of my face. I blew on it, but it got bigger, so i slammed the paper down on the table and smothered the flame with my arm. Left a little soot on the tablecloth, but managed to leave the restaurant in one piece!! Whew!

lwinokur Oct 14th, 2004 09:51 AM

amp - that's pretty funny. I'm glad you're ok, and even happier that quedos is still in business!