Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Copthorne Tara V's Somerset Bayswater Apartments & Symond Yat (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/copthorne-tara-vs-somerset-bayswater-apartments-and-symond-yat-664725/)

debstaj Dec 16th, 2006 06:09 PM

Copthorne Tara V's Somerset Bayswater Apartments & Symond Yat

Hello, we have a choice of staying 6 nights in the Copthorne Tara (which I have stayed in for one night & very nice) or in the Somserset Bayswater Apartments. 40 pounds dearer in Bayswater but not sure whether to eat out all the time staying in Kensington or staying in Bayswater and whip something up to keep prices down? We have another 15 days travelling around Britain so just trying to save a little bit here and there.

We are also thinking of staying at Rose Cottage or The Royal Hotel in Symond Yat or actually stay somewhere in Ross On Hay.
We are the outdoors type but don't like it tooooo quiet.

Thanks for any help

debstaj Dec 16th, 2006 06:51 PM

Sorry I have done this twice. I could not find my first post and did it again. Not concentrating doh

ron Dec 17th, 2006 11:12 AM

From a sightseeing perspective, staying at Ross-on-Wye vs. Symonds Yat makes little difference, since they are less than 15 minutes apart by car. You can visit all the local sights just as easy from either place. Where I would stay would stay would depend on how long I was staying. One night, Symonds Yat would be fine; more than one night, I would choose Ross. (Actually, I would choose Hereford, as I have the two times I have visited the area. But your interests may be different than mine.) I prefer towns and small cities for greater choice in restaurants and pubs, and the possibility of some cultural activity in the evening.

I believe your earlier posts indicated a plan to stay in Hay-on-Wye. What is it that you actually plan to do in the area?

janisj Dec 17th, 2006 11:30 AM

Not quite sure what you want re your London question - is it whether it is worth and extra £40 to have a kitchen? Only you will really know the answer to that one. I personally would stay in a more central location than either of those properties. But that is just me.

As for accomodations along the Wye - you did get some good suggestions before for places to stay. Have you decided against Hay on Wye?

This site links lots of places in the Wye Valley www.wyenot.com/accommodation.htm

debstaj Dec 17th, 2006 05:07 PM

Thanks for the response. Because we are on a budget and (the Aussie dollar just terrible) and after previous advise we are going Britain for around for 15 days in a car rather then by train. As I am expecting petrol prices to be a shocker I am trying to be a bit more central to where we want to visit. When we get into the Wye Valley for a couple of days we want to, for example, travel to Cardiff & Caerphilly in one day and Hereford explore a bit of the area on the other day. After that we are off to Bakewell. So I thought logically around Ross might be a better base.

With the London question, as I said I did like Copthorne but might be practical to go into Somerset Apartments, but Somerset are not very pleasant then I might be better just staying at the hotel.
I am not an experienced traveller as you can see and frankly the travel consultants that I have checked over here (as apposed to agents)are not very helpful.You guys seem to know what you are on about and most of what I have chosen is because of pretty good advise from you. I check Tripadvisor and those to get an idea of advise that I have been given and it seems to be all good. We are outdoors people and love meeting people, we are young 46 & 50 years and are very fit (husband fitness consultant) Loveeeeeeee history I especially could walk all day looking at castles, cathedrals etc. So there you go. Our budget is slightly tight but we want to enjoy ourselves too.
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Deb

debstaj Dec 17th, 2006 09:43 PM

I am so not talking right, is I.