Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Copies of passports & credit cars (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/copies-of-passports-and-credit-cars-1043695/)

fluff224 Apr 25th, 2015 10:34 AM

Copies of passports & credit cars

I am getting ready to leave for a 3 week trip in Europe & am wondering where to keep copies of my passports & credit cards. It doesn't make sense to carry that info in my purse if my purse and/or wallet is stolen. Is it safe to email the documents to myself or to my son? What do you do when you travel?

Dukey1 Apr 25th, 2015 10:51 AM

I have copies I have sent to myself. My email is web-based so I can access it anywhere and then print out, if necessary, what I need.

hetismij2 Apr 25th, 2015 10:53 AM

I have them stored on One Drive, but you could use Dropbox or whatever the Google/Apple equivalent cloud storage is.
You could e-mail them to yourself, and/or to your son quite safely I think. The chances of your mail be intercepted is very small.
Make sure you also note the international phone number for cancelling your cards in case you have to do that.

AlessandraZoe Apr 25th, 2015 11:17 AM

Have also just done passport copies via email/drive. Have uploaded phone numbers for credit cards with card numbers and expiration dates coded there, too.

fluff224 Apr 25th, 2015 11:49 AM

I have my credit cards copied both front and back. I will most likely email to myself and to my son just to be on the safe side. Also, I like to have a written copy of my sons' phone & email info with me (in case my phone is stolen, lost, or whatever) since I don't have them memorized. That is the disadvantage of speed dial on phones.

justineparis Apr 25th, 2015 12:38 PM

I also do a paper copy and put it in suitcase. If with partner we each have one in bag.

flpab Apr 25th, 2015 01:15 PM

I do both. I have a zippered bottom compartment in both suitcases that I carry on and put a copy in my suitcase and a copy in my husbands.

travelhorizons Apr 25th, 2015 02:21 PM

You can also store this information in a program like 1Password

fluff224 Apr 25th, 2015 02:39 PM

What is "1Password"? Is it like "Smartsafe" for iPad/iPhone?

Blueeyedcod Apr 25th, 2015 02:48 PM

Are you visiting Italy? Just FYI you are required by law to carry your passport on you at all times (not copies - your original document).

fluff224 Apr 25th, 2015 03:12 PM

No, we are not visiting Italy. I don't remember that from when we were ther 8 yrs ago. Interesting point.

kja Apr 25th, 2015 03:21 PM

I also mail the stuff to myself AND put a copy in my suitcase, my purse, and my day bag. But with the hard copies, I do NOT include BOTH sides of the credit cards. I also include a list of people to call in case of emergency and a list of allergies / medications.

quokka Apr 26th, 2015 01:25 AM

@Blueeyedcod: A photocopy is of course no legal document and cannot substitute the real one. However, in case the real document is lost, the copy or scan contains all relevant details and information (who knows his/her passport or cc number by heart?) that are needed by for example the consulate or embassy, or for blocking a credit card. Hence it makes sense to have the copy.

travelhorizons Apr 26th, 2015 06:21 AM

1Password is a computer program whose primary purpose is storing all of your passwords (and can even generate strong passwords for you), but it's also a secure way to store personal information such as credit card information, passport information, and even pictures of those documents. It's all accessible online with by using your Master Password.

fluff224 Apr 26th, 2015 08:57 AM

Thanks, travel horizons, will check it out!