copenhagen to oslo

Apr 18th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

copenhagen to oslo

Better to fly or take the ferry? Which is more cost effective?
We get a little seasick...
If ferry, can you give a little info on how to do it?
Same with flying- I assume that SAS is the best way.
Apr 18th, 2004, 07:39 PM

There is a budget airline as well that flies between the two cities:

http://www.sterlingticket.com/en/forside_en

You could also take a train now from Copenhagen to Oslo. It takes about 8 hours. Plus you get to go over the new bridge over the Baltic Sea connecting Denmark and Sweden.

Can't help you with ferries.

Apr 18th, 2004, 11:27 PM

Hold on...checking....
http://www.dfdsseawaysusa.com/ is the link you want It seems that this is the only ferry covering København-Oslo route, though if you go to another city in Denmark there are ferries from: Hirtshals, Fredrikshavn as well. But you should keep in mind that these ferries sell themselves as cruise ships so the prices can often be the same, and if you get seasick I would seriously consider another method of transportation. The cheapest is bus, and then you got options for air travel, and trains. I think there still is a sleeper option on the train for that route, which might be a good alternative to the ferry if you get seasick.

Cobos
Apr 19th, 2004, 02:51 AM

I took the ferry on the revere trip (Oslo to Coppenhagen) some years ago and the trip was sheer hell. the water was incredibly rough - you had to hold onto the walls with both hands to keep from falling over - and most of the people on the boat were ill into the next day. If you get seasick definitely do not ferry.
May 29th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hi Danacarrie,

We live in Oslo and often take the DFDS "cruise" line to Copenhagen for the weekend.

In all the years that I've taken this cruise line, I can only remember 1 time that the seas were choppy. I get seasick easily too, but the seas were not that choppy that I got sick.

It's a nice ferry ride. You board either in Copehagen or Oslo at 1700 and arrive the next day at your destination (i.e. either Oslo or Copenhagen) at 0915.

The price for the cruise is only for the cabins, and not including the meals.

I highly recommend taking the cruise-like ferry. It is part of the experience.

Good luck!
May 30th, 2004, 03:25 AM

Just got back from Scandinavia, and we used Sterling to fly from CPH to Oslo. (Some kind person here pointed me in their direction.) The one way flight cost about $75 each with taxes, and the airline seemed very well run. Our plane was new or almost new.