Copenhagen to Norway

Old Apr 11th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen to Norway

I am going to be disembarking in Copenhagen after a Baltic cruise. The cruise includes stops in Denmark ,Sweden and Finland, I would like to extend my trip to include a few days in Norway to tour the fjords. Please advise on the best plan as to how to do this from Copenhagen.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 12:28 PM

Fly Copenhagen to Bergen, Norway and do the Norway-in-a-Nutshell tour on your own or with groups. Base in Bergen, a lovely old Hanseatic Port city. For lots on NIN see - https://www.visitnorway.com/places-t...caAmn6EALw_wcB - www.ricksteves.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com (sites for trains and doing your own tour - easy to do in a day from Bergen.

You could also end up in Oslo on the NIN day thing and stay there a day and fly out of there.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 02:50 PM

Bergen is really the gateway to Norway’s fjords. I would fly into Bergen. It’s a very pleasant city and worth a day’s touring. Then, perhaps, do a circular tour by takkng the Express Boat ( catamaran ) from Bergen to Balestrand. I’ve done this and it’s a very scenic trip. At Balestrand you can catch a small ferry and travel up the Fjaerlandsfjord to Mundal. There you visit the Ice Museum ( more interesting than you might imagine ) then visit the glacier before returning to Balestrand. Balestrand has an excellent hotel beautifully situated on the fjord. You could spend the night there and next day take ferry or Express Boat to Flam along the Aurlandsfjord. At Flam you have two options. You could take the Flamsbana train up to Myrdal, then train back to Bergen. Or, from Flam take the ferry to Gudvagen traveling along the Naeroyfjord, then bus to Stalheim, another great place to spend a night or catch train at Voss ( I believe that’s the place ) and return to Bergen via train.

I would check out Trip Advisor as they have far more Norway experts than here, I found them extremely helpful when planning my trip. Here are a few websites that will help in planning an itinerary for Norway. BTW , p,ease note that NiN is only a ticket facilitator. You purchbase your trip and pu k up tickets/ vouchers at TIC or train station by making your own bookings you can save on rail tickets.

Ferje ? Fjord1
www.visitflam.com
www.norled.no

www.nsb.no. for train tickets and information

Last edited by historytraveler; Apr 11th, 2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 07:16 PM

Seems it’s more difficult to correct silly mistakes than to just post again. Thanks a lot autocorrect. Just note that if using NiN you pickup tickets/ vouchers at TIC or train station.I do ‘t know if tickets etc. can be printed. If making your own bookings, you can get reduced rates on train tickets. On buses, you can purchase tickets as you board. Ferry tickets can be booked in advance and either printed or picked up at ferry port.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 06:38 AM

Take the overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo - though perhaps you've seen enough sea? The sail up the Oslo fjord in the morning is very nice and scenic. Get to the breakfast room when it opens and a table with window at the front.
After time in Oslo take the NiN to Bergen. There are additional tours from Bergen if you have more time.