Copenhagen to Heidleberg

Search

Copenhagen to Heidleberg

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen to Heidleberg

What is the best town to visit by train between Copenhagen and Heidleberg ? Thank you for any ideas you may have.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM

At a bare minimum, you will have to change trains in Hamburg, so that would make sense. Other itineraries would have you change in Frankfurt, as well, so this would make sense too.

At 10+ hours, I must confess that this seems like a trip tailor-made for flying rather than training.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you travelgourmet. I was hoping to find somewhere to stay somewhere more interesting/unique/different/themed to Hannover or Hamburg for a few nights prior to traveling on to Heidleberg. Otherwise I think you are right about taking a flight.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
DAX

In 2002, we took the train from Copenhagen to Berlin and we were glad to stop in Hamburg for a couple of days. The train ride through southern Denmark was very enjoyable and the water crossing brought a nice change of atmosphere when our train entered the ferry. We were allowed to stay or get off the train to enjoy the large ferry restaurant with a view of the sea from the top. We were impressed with the personal service on board the train in Denmark (first class) where the steward served us complimentary tea/coffee etc which completely disappeared as soon as we crossed into Germany. Most of the staff said their goodbyes and gave my son new danish euro coins as souvenirs from them.

The Main train station in Hamburg is very convenient to access and enjoy the nice downtown. We felt that there was more energy in Hamburg which seemed to be much more dynamic and thriving. You can view other recent Hamburg threads for ideas on what to do. It's no Sydney and it's missing the sunny beaches, but there are plenty of water elements which gives a pleasant open atmosphere. I definitely don't recommend Frankfurt as a stop.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
DAX

As I read from your other post that you were an investment banker, I should add that my favorite hotel in Hamburg is the Park Hyatt which is practically next door to the train station. It took us 10 minutes from our hotel room to the train (we bought a pass and studied the schedules & gates at the hotel). We took daytrips into the Hanseatic old city of Luebeck and Bremen by train. I'm sure you know the Park Hyatt service quality, but I would say that this one is a step better than other Park Hyatts in terms of delivering comfort & service without being intrusive. It is also the least expensive Park Hyatt in Europe. It is located on Moenckebergstrasse which is a nice shopping street leading to Hamburg's nice cityhall.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM

Hamburg is a great city. Another suggestion that hopped through my mind is this:

Göttingen is an old university town on the main ICE line, thus can be reached without any detours - it's the next stop south of Hannover. It has a couple of pretty old town areas and a lively nightlife tue to the presence of thousands of students, and is more or less tourist-free (unlike Heidelberg). Maybe this is what you are looking for?
http://www.goettingen.de/index.php?lang=en
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I will definately take a look at Goettingen and thank you also for the votes for Hamburg.