Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Copenhagen Solo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/copenhagen-solo-488758/)

jtankers Dec 1st, 2004 05:55 PM

Copenhagen Solo?

It's official: I've got wanderlust. I've been contemplating taking a trip to Europe by myself sometime in February or March, and am wondering if Copenhagen would be a good destination. Seeing as I'd be alone, I'd like to visit a city where I can get by on English, feel safe, and enjoy some great architecture, history, food, and museums. Would Copenhagen be a good destination for a young, solo, female traveller that time of year? Also, I'd like to keep expenses down if I go- does anyone know if a budget of approximately $700 (airfare included) for a 3-4 day trip is reasonable? Any responses are appreciated.

WillTravel Dec 1st, 2004 06:01 PM

What do you anticipate your airfare will cost? Maybe you can get in on the SAS Advent Sale. Just watch out for the date that Copenhagen is offered.

If you want a centrally located hotel room with an ensuite bathroom, I doubt you will get that for less than the equivalent of about 60 Euros.

Shared bath accommodation at a B&B is probably more like 40 Euros. See http://www.bedandbreakfast.dk http://www.citybed.dk
http://www.chickens.dk

If you are willing to go with a hostel, that's more like 20 Euros.

I'd suggest buying the 72-hour Copenhagen Pass for your stay - see http://www.woco.dk .

Food is about the same price as London, plus or minus.

I think you would feel very safe there and there is a lot of art, history, and architecture.

The main drawback would be the lack of light.

tedgale Dec 1st, 2004 06:01 PM

Cannot comment definitively on budget esp as you do not say where you would travel from. (It seems a bit low as Copenhagen is not cheap.)

But as a city: Copenhagen is WONDERFUL. Rates high on all 4 points: architecture, history, food and museums.

Not big at all, perfectly safe -- very manageable for a single traveler

Budman Dec 1st, 2004 06:04 PM

I would think that airfare alone would be close to $700. You might be able to get a deal for about $500. Consider the following:

Modest accommodations around $70 per night.

Taxi to/from airport, Food, Admission fees to museums, gifts, etc.

You'd be cutting it real close. ((b))

jtankers Dec 1st, 2004 06:05 PM

My budget might reflect a bit of wishful thinking..assuming Christmas doesn't hit my wallet too much, I can probably afford to spend more. I'd be flying out of Chicago, so I'll check out the fares on SAS and see if they look reasonable. So far, it's encouraging to hear that Copenhagen is a good destination for a single traveller...I can't get too psyched about it right now or I won't be able to sleep tonight!

WillTravel Dec 1st, 2004 06:09 PM

During the first 24 days of December, SAS features one destination per day for a price of $249 + tax (eastern gateways) and $299 + tax (Seattle). I can't remember if Chicago is $249 or $299. Anyway, Copenhagen is always featured on one of those days. So if your dates are flexible, cheap airfare to Copenhagen is a given if you watch carefully.

See http://campaign.scandinavian.net/christmas2004/us/ .

PalQ Dec 1st, 2004 06:16 PM

If you go don't miss Christiana, Copenhagen's said-to-be no 2 most visited tourist sight, after Tivoli. This 'free city' whose beginnings sprang from a group of squatters who took over an abandoned military base in the heart of Copenhagen is about Europe's only surviving 70's communes. Read about it in books as, especially for a youngster, it may be more interesting than anything else you could do. But whether it will be there in March is a Q as the government recently decided to reclaim the land and give the squattors the boot. Anyway it's very famous all over Europe.

cruisinred Dec 2nd, 2004 04:22 AM

I have done Copenhagen twice by myself as a single gal. I agree with the other posters that it will meet all your goals for history,architecture, etc. It is very safe and easy to get around. Have a great time!

ira Dec 2nd, 2004 05:06 AM

Hi jt,

I agree, Copenhagen is great.

SAS has RT from EWR for $450.
http://www.onetravel.com/

jtankers Dec 2nd, 2004 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the info- I'm now on the SAS email list and eagerly awaiting the $249 fare from Chicago...as soon as I buy tickets, I'll start researching the city more seriously! Thanks to all who responded.

walkinaround Dec 2nd, 2004 03:08 PM

i've worked in copenhagen for about 9 months and you should consider that there is a big difference in the city between the summer and other seasons. in the summer, the city comes alive, people are out late and there is a happy, party atmosphere.

in the winter, it is very gloomy and the days are very short. i do not focus on the weather because i'm sure you are aware that as a nordic country it is cold and dark. However, what is not as obvious is the effect it has on the lifestyle of the people. Obviously the weather and seasons affect people in most places but in copenhagen it feels like two different cities.

i don't believe that tivoli is open that time of year (not that this should be the deciding factor!) and other attractions like the above mentioned christiana are skeletons of what they are in the summer. in christiana there is a great feeling in the summer but it is not nearly as welcoming in the winter and many people may not feel comfortable there.

I am not saying that you shouldn't go. what i am saying is that you should get some books and choose some things to see. then imagine those activities in the winter. if they still seem good to you, then go for it. also, do not just get advice from those who have just been there in the summer.

itswoody Dec 2nd, 2004 04:20 PM

Suggest you also consider Amsterdam.

WillTravel Dec 2nd, 2004 05:29 PM

I'm a person who's only been there in the summer. So walkinaround has a good point.

nytraveler Dec 2nd, 2004 06:34 PM

I've been in copenhagen solo several times in connection with businees trips - and it's a great place for a woman alone - tons of things to do - and no unpleasant attention (although lots of the pleasant sort if you like).

But I'm sure that Feb/March is the best time to go - way too chilly IMHO - but it's a delight in summer.

nytraveler Dec 2nd, 2004 06:37 PM

Sorry - should be "not sure"

WillTravel Dec 2nd, 2004 11:13 PM

jtankers, it's your day! Copenhagen is on sale December 3 with SAS.

Intrepid1 Dec 3rd, 2004 02:09 AM

I'd also suggest Amsterdam although you won;t see a lot of "varied" architecture..of course, you won't see a lot in Copenhagen either IMO. Museums in A-dam are more varied and in many opinions "better" depending on your interests...BUT Copenhage is on sale today from SAS as has been mentioned..I think from about $249 (taxes and fees are undoubtedly additional) so I'd go for it on a limited budget and save A-Dam for another trip.

tedgale Dec 3rd, 2004 02:40 AM

Oh Intrepid I totally disagree about the variety of architecture in Copenhagen!!

What struck me most forcefully there was precisely the harmony of 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th C and super-modern architecture.

The new buildings were some of the loveliest and most sophisticated architecture I have seen in Europe.

Copenhagen never had a chance to remain uniform, after all: One massive fire plus the devastation of bombardment in the Napoleonic wars scotched that.

My particular favourites were the late 19th century buildings that fused Art Nouveau with deliberately picturesque "national/ historical" detailing -- crow-stepped gables and so on. You'll find such buildings in that square over by Tivoli gardens (near the city hall????)

adoptionisfab Dec 3rd, 2004 03:43 AM

SAS Fare sale today December 3: Copenhagen
From
New York (EWR), $249 + taxes r/t
Washington, DC, $249 + taxes r/t
Chicago, $249 + taxes r/t
Seattle, $299 + taxes r/t

Terms & conditions
Seats are limited and are booked on a first come first served basis.

Book your ticket within 24 hours. Offer is valid for sale today between 03:00 AM - 02:59 AM (EST) tomorrow.

Payment is due at the time of reservation.

Travel must take place between 5 Jan and 12 Mar, 2005, with all travel completed by 15 Mar, 2005.

Minimum stay: A Saturday Night stay is required.

Maximum stay: 30 days.

Non-refundable. Changes for the return flight are permitted at a charge of USD200 provided change is made after departure and prior to the original date of return travel.

Infants under 2 years of age (not occupying a seat) pay 10% of adult fare. No other child discount applies.

Additional: Fare does not include taxes, fees and charges and will be added to the final price. All tickets will be issued as
E-tickets where applicable.This offer can only be purchased on the internet. This offer may not be applicable to previously purchased tickets or in connection with or in exchange for any wholly or partially unused ticket. Unless stated, all travel must be on SAS operated flights.

Note: A U.S. or Canadian billing adress is required to process your ticket order.
Book this offer

jtankers Dec 4th, 2004 12:27 PM

I bought tickets! Now the fun part begins...the planning. I appreciate all the feedback- I'm not particularly concerned about the shortened days and travelling in the off-season. I live in Chicago, so I'm used to shorter days. Also, I travelled to Stockholm about the same time a few years ago, so I know that the city won't be as lively as it might be during the summer. I actually like travelling better during the cold, nasty months, as I can't stand crowded places and long lines of stinky tourists. I'm looking forward to wandering around the city in my coat and scarf, drinking hot coffee and soaking up the atmosphere more than anything. I'll post my projected itinerary once I've done some more research (but until then, if anyone has ideas for things to do in early March, I'd appreciate it!)