Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Copenhagen or Stockholm (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/copenhagen-or-stockholm-935963/)

Europewithkids May 21st, 2012 08:35 AM

Copenhagen or Stockholm

My wife and I will be visiting our 20 year old son in Europe in late October (he will be studying in Amsterdam). We want to take him to either Copenhagen or Stockholm for a couple of days (arrive on Thursday night, depart on Sunday). At that time of year, which city is preferable? We will have two full days to tour. We like pretty places, with some charm. We are not big museum people. We do like historic sights. I am also not sure which city is more expensive.

Cowboy1968 May 21st, 2012 09:01 AM

I'd say that Copenhagen is slightly more expensive than Stockholm.
But also Stockholm is not exactly a budget destination.
Days in late October will be short, in Stockholm even bit more shorter than in Copenhagen.
Is there a special reason why of all big cities in Europe you have committed yourself only on one of those two?
Places like Barcelona or Rome would have come to my mind sooner than any Scandinavian locations.

Tentek May 21st, 2012 09:24 AM

I have been to both and it is really a matter of taste. I found Stockholm a bit prettier and more stylish. Copenhagen was nice and had more to offer to sight see and experiment with food. We were there in August and both places were quite rainy and on the colder side. If you are familiar with celcius, it was about 12-15 C, or somewhere around 60F.

danon May 21st, 2012 09:35 AM

I visited both in July...
Stocholm is spectacular, but a young person may enjoy Copenhagen more

Cowboy1968 May 21st, 2012 09:43 AM

Personally I also liked Stockholm better. It can be glorious in summer with all the life along and on the water(fronts) until very late at night. Late October will be a different vibe, I am afraid. Even though the climates are not really comparable, Stockholm is only a bit further south than the Yukon / BC "border".

Tentek May 21st, 2012 09:57 AM

Also, I found Stockholm more expensive than Copenhagen, in terms of hotels and restaurants. We stayed in the center of Stockholm but further away in Copenhagen.

Fodorite014 May 21st, 2012 11:57 AM

I live in Stockholm and I love both cities.

This time of year when the trees are becoming green and the sun sets at 21:30 I always realize that I think Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. In my opinion it is really spectacular. Taking a stroll back home, crossing all bridges, after a night out at sunrise 3:00 in the morning is magic.

Skating on a frozen lake Mälaren a sunny day in February when everything is covered in snow and sparkling ice crystals is also magic.

However, in late October I often wish that I lived somewhere else... Follow Cowboy's advice and save Stockholm to another trip!

Europewithkids May 21st, 2012 11:59 AM

I am looking at these cities because my son specifically wants to go there and he knows they are expensive, hence wanting to do one with us picking up the tab. I guess we could also do Helsinki or Oslo, if they are as interesting. My son is also a hockey fan, so if it is hockey season, that may make for a good evening activity.

danon May 21st, 2012 12:08 PM

I was surprised at the beauty of Stocholm....., but , as I said, it was summer.
Hardly slept at all.
Was reminded of the Norwegian film " .Insomnia"

Fodorite014 May 21st, 2012 12:37 PM

Regarding the weather it doesn't really matter which of the Scandinavian capitals you pick.

In my opinion Stockholm and Copenhagen win over Oslo and Helsinki when it comes to things to see and do. I think the hockey season in Sweden starts in mid-September.

Cowboy1968 May 21st, 2012 12:53 PM

Go to www.timeanddate.com and check sunrise and sunset hours for those four cities in late October.
As we will go back to winter time in late October that will result in daylight from 7am until 4pm only, a few minutes more in Copenhagen.

Your money can neither buy more daylight nor better weather, though. But if you are fine with that, why not. Though I fInd the Nordic capitals, and especially Stockholm, most beautiful during midsommar or quite the opposite before Christmas when the Old Town (or Copenhagen's Tivoli) is like a magic wonderland (okay, touristy, but very tasteful touristy) and they have already snow while we are still stuck with rain.

With some degree of generalization, I found mostly dining out the most expensive item by far. I have to admit that Stockholm was one of the few places where I deliberately went to a McDonalds to save some money. Though the one on Södermalm, towering over Slussen, does have quite a nice view over the Old Town and beyond.
Other touristy stuff like hotels or entrance fees were more or less in a normal range, IME.

The Nordic countries are also well-known for excellent design, so it does not hurt to take a look into the stores. From small individual quirky shops to the big department stores, either along Copenhagen's Strøget or Stockholm's Sergels Torg. Not just for decorative items but also and maybe especially for everyday household items and glassware. Good quality and craftmanship does come with an adequate price tag, though.

If I had to rank the four cities by costs from moderately expensive to very expensive it would be Helsinki, Stockholm / Copenhagen, (the rest of the world), Oslo.

Maybe someone else can give you some advice on the hockey question.

Fodorite014 May 21st, 2012 01:05 PM

Maybe it will be easier for you and your son to decide if you have a look at these web sites:

Stockholm: http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/
Stockholm, the Vasa Museum: http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

Copenhagen: http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/

Oslo: http://www.visitoslo.com/en/

Helsinki: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en

Fodorite014 May 21st, 2012 03:10 PM

It is not that difficult to find moderately priced restaurants in Stockholm. Beer and wine are expensive though, even at cheaper places due to high taxes on alcohol.

Friday lunch you should take advantage of the set lunch offered in most restaurants on weekdays. There will be a limited menu to choose from, usually 3 - 5 dishes for 8 - 10 euros. A salad buffet, sometimes limited to carrots and cabbage and sometimes with a wide range of veggies, bread and butter, a non alcoholic drink and coffee or tea will be included in the price. Expect to pay considerably more for your evening meals.

Taxis are extremely expensive in Stockholm but not really needed as public transport is very good. Taxis could be a legal scam as prices are not regulated. Some unscrupulous taxis charge 3 times more than the reliable taxi companies. And this is legal as long as the price is displayed on a sticker on the rear side window. Most visitors have no clue about that they must check the price sticker before getting into a taxi.

In my opinion prices in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki are comparable. Alcoholic drinks are slightly cheaper in Copenhagen. In Oslo anything will cost a smaller fortune.

Europewithkids May 22nd, 2012 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the input. I asked my son if he would rather go somewhere further south, but he really wants to get up to Scandanavia. It sounds like Stockholm is the prettier city, more Scandanavian city, Copenhagen the more European with better nightlife. I imagine either Stockholm or Copenhagen will have more than enough to occupy us for 2-3 days.

Europewithkids May 22nd, 2012 08:28 AM

I see that Halloween in Tivoli will be going on in Copenhagen during our dates. Is this of interest to us (two 50 year olds and a 20 year old boy)? Apparently, Tivoli Gardens is all done up for Halloween and the park is in full swing into the night. Is this of interest to folks our age, or is Tivoli really a kids thing?

Treesa May 22nd, 2012 08:41 AM

Stockholm, just for the opportunity to re-visit the Vasa Museum.

Tentek May 22nd, 2012 02:55 PM

I think Tivoli would be spectacular in general. We all loved it. It would probably be fun for Halloween. I would imagine there would be adult party goes there too.

SusuE May 29th, 2012 02:10 PM

What would be the best hotel as far as location since we only have 24 hours in Stockholm. Is The Grand Hotel worth the price?

Tentek May 29th, 2012 02:43 PM

I have not stayed at the Grand Hotel, but I have stayed at Sheraton Stockholm and the location is excellent. It is a nice hotel, clean and comfortable.

Fodorite014 May 29th, 2012 10:02 PM

The Grand Hotel is probably the most expensive hotel you can stay at while in Stockholm. The Sheraton often has very good value campaign prices on different hotel booking sites.

There are many good hotels with reasonable prices in central Stockholm. Check out any hotel booking site, the locations will be plotted on a map.