Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen (not Stockholm) Around the Sound day trip: Need help

Jul 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

In searching this site, I found a post by Pelanque I believe, about a day trip "Around the Sound" from Copenhagen that got me started planning something similar. As usual, I think
I may be overreaching and need some help to be sure I'll not be taking my fellow travelers on a death march. Here's my plan--and my questions:

Train to Lund passing over the Oresund bridge (does the train actually do that, and if so will we be able to actually see the bridge while we're on it?)
Look around Lund and possibly have lunch there
Train Lund to Helsingborg Sweden (should we try to look around there as well?)
Take ferry Helsingborg to Helsingor, get off and see Elsinore castle (about an hour?)
Take train to Louisiana modern art museum and view
Train back from there to Copenhagen.

Is this flat our crazy or is it actually doable? If not doable as planned, is it doable if I cut out Louisiana art museum?
Is it more reasonable to rent a car for the day and see things that way?

If we've already seen 3 castles in Copenhagen, should we give up on Helsingor and just split a day between Lund and Dragor fishing village instead?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Jul 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM

You can't really see anything from the train, since it is on a lower deck of the bridge.

This is a pretty long day, IMO. I would at least skip one of Elsinore or Louisiana - Elsinore will be easier logistically. However, I wouldn't say that Elsinore is really that special, just another castle really.

A car would absolutely make this easier and would be what I would do. You could just rent it from the airport and leave from there.
Jul 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was starting to have a sneaking suspicion that I was getting way too ambitious. Thanks for freeing me up from feeling that we really might "need" to see Elsinore. Makes the whole thing more reasonable. Appreciate your advice.
Jul 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM

You will still get views of Elsinore from the ferry. And the view from the boat really gives you perspective as to its importance, when the Danes were able to use it to control trade in and out of the Baltic Sea.
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:35 AM

Maybe I am too late. I think the trip would be wonderful. You just need a hotel in Lund and next day one in Helsingør. Lund is very charming. Drop Helsingborg and take the ferry straight to Helsingør. Next morning go to Lousiana and back to Copenhagen. Kronborg is not just another castle. And Helsingør has many other things than that to offer.